Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Hopefully something landscaped, even if only grass.

I'm picturing some small, easily-maintained shrubs.
A 5' high chain link fence.
The centre will be filled in with more concrete.
(04-23-2016, 06:36 PM)timio Wrote: A 5' high chain link fence.

I laughed. And then I cried.
(04-23-2016, 10:45 AM)Canard Wrote: ...and finally (see previous page for more photos), the fence going up between Bearanger and Quiet Place.  It is 1.5m/5' high.  And it is not pretty.

Wasn't that stretch to get a noise barrier? Or is that the west side of the tracks closer to the path?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Interesting catch - I didn't see any signs of that - just more chain link fence.

(04-23-2016, 05:28 PM)GtwoK Wrote: What're they gonna pt in between the track in these center-running sections? Just fill the middle and narrow outer spaces with gravel?

I am pretty sure it will just be more concrete, based on construction techniques used on other parts of the line, and the plans:

Here are some photos from Gold Coast in Australia, built by some of the same system partners as our line:

[Image: g-link-light-rail.jpg]

[Image: gc-light-rail-queen-street-august-2013-2.jpg]

(I really wish/hope we could have the red painted concrete, too! But I don't think we're getting that.)
I can't find the post, but someone said a week or so ago that the lubricator at Charles/Ontario was fixed. I was just by and it looks the same to me.

Someone from the Rapid Transit team did reach out to me and said they'd send someone over to take a look, so I guess they decided it wasn't a problem, or just haven't dealt with it yet.
It's another beautiful morning in Waterloo Region!

An overview from the roof of the Benton St. parking garage.

Here's the transition point that Kevin L. pointed out between the two styles of embedded track.

Another close-up of the transition point.  I didn't bring my tape measure (I was just curious!), but it looks to be about 30-40 mm of clearance, between the top of the rail and the concrete.  The flange on the trains is about 20 mm deep.  Not that I doubted them, again, I was just curious.  Smile  I do wonder if ice build up will be a problem in the winter.

Stirling/Charles.

Stirling/Charles.

Stirling/Charles.

Stirling/Charles.

Borden/Charles.

Borden/Charles.

Borden/Charles.

Borden/Charles.

At the Fairway terminal end of the line, this view shows the ground preparation work for track, hopefully coming soon! Wilson is in the foreground.

This is looking the other way, along the hydrocut, toward Courtland.
(04-24-2016, 11:30 AM)Canard Wrote:   I do wonder if ice build up will be a problem in the winter.

It shouldn't be, from what I hear; metal wheels on metal rails just crushes/melts ice, and traction is not a problem in that scenario.

A bigger issue is wet leaves in the autumn. That creates a slippery gunk that is harder to bypass.

(04-24-2016, 10:11 AM)Canard Wrote: I can't find the post, but someone said a week or so ago that the lubricator at Charles/Ontario was fixed. I was just by and it looks the same to me.

Someone from the Rapid Transit team did reach out to me and said they'd send someone over to take a look, so I guess they decided it wasn't a problem, or just haven't dealt with it yet.

It was a poster on Urban Toronto, who posts lots of pictures also.   The one at Ontario and Charles is still not fixed.    His picture had a white stripe on the metal plate.
Off topic but it looks like our friend picked up some hardware for his honest reporting. These awards must be meaningless.
http://m.therecord.com/news-story/651170...per-awards
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »