Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Absolutely!
  • In Washington DC, when it came time to update the automated announcements for the Metro, a contest was held and the public voted.  Randi Miller, an Acura dealership receptionist, is now the voice of the trains. I smile every time I ride that system!

• In Besancon, France, each of the new CAF trains on their system have been decorated with a person of significance for the region, with a silhouette and writeup about them (it sounds silly, but looks fantastic in execution - this is France, after all!):

I'd love to see the team here work with Bombardier to offer up some different door-closing chime options (even let the public submit their own!), and have a public vote on it. As a transit enthusiast, one of my favourite things when riding a new system is hearing the door close chime. Some cities have horrible buzzers (boring!), and others have nice, pleasant, two or three-tone chimes to signal door-closing. It's a simple thing that most people will overlook (why spend any time thinking about that?), but really, it's something that people will hear dozens of times per day while riding the system, so it should be non-intrusive but pleasant. Look how iconic the TTC's three-tone chime is (which is really the UTDC chime - if you want to know the history, I'd be happy to go into it!).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Canard - 11-21-2014, 01:00 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM