Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-23-2017, 03:28 PM)chutten Wrote:
(01-23-2017, 02:22 PM)boatracer Wrote: Quote from the article from Waterloo Taxi President

"If they had any consideration at all for the consumer they would make this very convenient. When you step out you should be able to jump into your next form of transportation."

Isn't that what they did by having an LRT stop directly adjacent to the bus terminal on Charles?

Only if you're going "south"bound :S

Can always go south for a couple of stop until you hit a NB/SB platform.  Wink

KCI crossover progress.

[Image: quzCuYS.jpg]
Forgive the tangent, but I use cabs in K-W fairly often and I don't think I have talked to one (and I almost always engage them in conversation) who was/is in favour of LRT. Some, very passionately opposed.

I get that it could be viewed by them as competition, but LRT should also reduce road traffic which would allow taxis to do more trips in a shift and thus making more money as a result of the start cost of a fare.
(01-24-2017, 01:36 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Forgive the tangent, but I use cabs in K-W fairly often and I don't think I have talked to one (and I almost always engage them in conversation) who was/is in favour of LRT. Some, very passionately opposed.

I get that it could be viewed by them as competition, but LRT should also reduce road traffic which would allow taxis to do more trips in a shift and thus making more money as a result of the start cost of a fare.

Might it be related to either the fact that it's a change from the status quo, or else to the phenomenon that e.g. merchants always want infinite free parking in front of their store even when it's shown to not actually be in their best interest?
(01-24-2017, 10:36 AM)plam Wrote:
(01-24-2017, 01:36 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: Forgive the tangent, but I use cabs in K-W fairly often and I don't think I have talked to one (and I almost always engage them in conversation) who was/is in favour of LRT. Some, very passionately opposed.

Might it be related to either the fact that it's a change from the status quo, or else to the phenomenon that e.g. merchants always want infinite free parking in front of their store even when it's shown to not actually be in their best interest?

This is a good question.  It could be that, but I think it's a lack of understanding or belief in the....vision?  I had a conversation with one cab driver who seemed against it, but I told him (this was before I sold my car and started biking), that when the LRT was finished, I'd probably sell my car and use the LRT, and then I'd end up taking cabs far more than I do right now (pretty much only when going to work parties outside of downtown).  He seemed surprised to hear that.
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Testing of off-loading ramp equipment ahead of arrival of first ION train, scheduled to be in <a href="https://twitter.com/RegionWaterloo">@RegionWaterloo</a> late-February <a href="https://t.co/oOxl25riHD">pic.twitter.com/oOxl25riHD</a></p>&mdash; ION (@rideIONrt) <a href="https://twitter.com/rideIONrt/status/823923940917645314">January 24, 2017</a></blockquote>

1/5 Saturday, January 22 & Sunday, January 23, 2017

[/i]Platform work at Kitchener City Hall.

Mass Electric working on the OCS along Charles.

Frederick.[/i]
Isn't there infrequently used space in bus lane 1 (the intercity bus platform lane closest to the terminal) that could be used for taxis? Especially the space between the greyhound "ticket booth" and Gaukel? There would be even more space if that eyesore ever disappeared. Or designate a few spaces in the lot at Charles and Ontario.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

2/5 Saturday, January 22 & Sunday, January 23, 2017

Frederick.

Duke St./Kitchener City Hall station formwork.

Duke St.

King St. Grade Separation.

3/5 Saturday, January 22 & Sunday, January 23, 2017

Ottawa.

Future "Mill" Station at Ottawa/Mill.

Ballast train.

Preparing for ballast flooding between Ottawa and Borden, on the Huron Spur.

Ballast train.
4/5 Saturday, January 22 & Sunday, January 23, 2017

Ballast sweeper at the bottom end of Borden.

Caroline/Allen.

Tile work up on the Seagram/Waterloo Park/Laurier anchor wall.

5/5 Saturday, January 22 & Sunday, January 23, 2017

Tile work also up at Northfield.

Looking back toward the OMSF.
The Waterloo Park one looks fantastic. What material is it?
I agree! Waterloo Park and Northfield are stone panels, while the others are either glass or ceramic tiles.  From this document (Page 6), the name of that particular sample is "Eramosa".

While it looks textured, it's actually ground perfectly flat, like a high-end kitchen counter top.

Great pics as always, Canard! Thank you!
Might be something to pitch to Tom Galloway or someone at the Region, whether there's any unused space at the transit terminal they could use. My guess is that they want to be on Charles Street though, not within the terminal bays.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »