Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Canard, you definitely didn't offend me.  I just think more people shouldn't worry about what other people are doing when it doesn't effect them.  I probably should have kept that to myself though.  So, sorry about that.

Jamincan, I agree you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy on the street.  But just because someone can do something, doesn't mean they should.  As a general ethical rule (and not law) I think people shouldn't take/post pictures of other people without their knowledge/permission.  There are definite exceptions, and people are free to feel differently than I do on what those exceptions should be.  Edit: (Construction crews are generally an ok exception to me because they're working on a public project that people rightly very interested in.  But note, I'm personally not ok with people that post things like construction workers taking a break or having lunch.)

The car is also different because they're much more likely to cause problems in a construction site.  But I don't think its actually a double standard.  If one of those pedestrians had gotten hurt because they were trespassing on a construction site, I think a bunch of people would be laughing at them too.  Personally, I wouldn't be laughing at either.  But I'd also think both people had no one to blame but themselves.

Anecdote, we had a locally closed road around here for quite awhile and there was a period when it was open-but-not-officially-open with no construction happening.  I got a nail in my tire during this period of time and was talking to a guy at the shop who was repairing it.  He started going on a big rant about how constriction crews are lazy and never clean up nails like they're suppose to and how I should report them and yadda yadda yadda.  I had to sheepishly tell him it wasn't their fault, and it was almost certainly my fault for driving where I shouldn't...

Wanna know where pedestrians shouldn't be during construction?

At the Allen Station Wall of course, now that it's got it name up! Smile

Coke

[Hopes nobody noticed his subtle attempt to steer the conversation....]
Speaking of station walls, Mill is having its installed as I type this.
With the deviations from the patterns in the published documents, I'm just really hoping no kind-of-but-not-really-Swastikas accidentally get installed.

(Reference)
(04-18-2017, 04:01 PM)KevinL Wrote: Speaking of station walls, Mill is having its installed as I type this.

Nice....

I sorta like the designs they're using. Pretty cool for the most part. I don't like, though, the logo's in both corners. The ION logo isn't horrible, but the GRT design needs a refresh. IMHO, of course.
The GRT logo is less than 20 years old. That's a pretty short lifetime for a logo.
Waterloo Public Square station framing is up:

Queen station got its anchor wall (already partially covered by the hoarding). I like the orange and blue colours (sorry, no pictures was riding at the time).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

I think you just mean the protective wooden enclosure - I believe "hoarding" is just for the warming tents for the concrete, isn't it?

Lettering is going up at Kitchener Market, too.

So, Courtland/Block Line had received a "revision"... a massive crossing arm has recently been installed, with the base sandwiched just beyond the right turn lane from Courtland to Block Line. It's... interesting.

Weather looks crap for the next couple of days so likely no photos from me.
I think it can refer to any kind of temporary enclosure.
The lettering was going up on the anchor wall at the hospital this morning.
(04-19-2017, 06:44 AM)jamincan Wrote: I think it can refer to any kind of temporary enclosure.

Indeed, the most common use is the scaffold-and-plywood barriers at the edge of a major construction site.
Thanks - had no idea! This project is the first time I've ever heard the word, aside from the TLC usage. Smile
BREAKING NEWS: Metrolinx shouldn't be allowed to terminate its $770 million contract with Bombardier, a judge has ruled.
In a highly anticipated decision, the court has granted Bombardier an injunction that prevents Metrolinx from terminating the $770 million deal for light rail vehicles.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/04...tract.html

Yep! It was the right decision - the only decision, really. Metrolinx' games of trying to figure out (unethical and dishonest) ways to get out of the contract (because they have too many trains on order due to Toronto not being able to make up its mind on what it's going to build) were totally obvious.
Maybe we can take some trains off their hands for a significant discount for phase 2 Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »