Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-27-2017, 02:35 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Are the tactile strips at the edge of the platform only going to tell those with visual impairment that there is an edge nearby, or will it actively guide them to the doors?

the tactile strips typically provide feedback to the visually impaired that they are close to the edge.

...and they will have black sections which align with the doors.
(04-27-2017, 04:09 PM)Canard Wrote: ...and they will have black sections which align with the doors.

Will this also be different in a tactile sense (so the visually impaired are assisted)?
(04-25-2017, 02:12 PM)Canard Wrote: I guess what I'm getting at is I didn't think it was such a great leap to go from understanding this (which appears everywhere in North America):

...to this:

I guess I put too much faith in humanity. Rolleyes

There is a break in the roadway, so maybe they think it tunnels under the railway.  Any reason they wouldn't keep the road solid to keep it consistent with the other one?

(I never thought the above, was just trying to figure out how someone could mis interpret it)

Coke
It's not a new kind of sign. The ones on King St E look like this:

(04-28-2017, 11:41 AM)kps Wrote: It's not a new kind of sign. The ones on King St E look like this:

Have also seen such signs in Quebec. They are surely part of the standard for road signs.
(04-28-2017, 11:47 AM)plam Wrote: Have also seen such signs in Quebec. They are surely part of the standard for road signs.

Ah, yes, it seems to be a WC-4B. IANATL so no idea whether the Ion interpretation is close enough to be legal.

(04-28-2017, 01:10 PM)kps Wrote: ...IANATL...

"I Am Not A Traffic Lawyer"?!
Northbound messenger wire has been strung across Victoria and under the grade separation. Curbs are progressing well, too.
Yes; and it's very interesting to note that this strand has a tensioner at one end only - the end closest to the two curves (Duke > Francis, and Francis > King) is fixed. It's such a short run it makes sense - and it makes sense it's fixed at the ends with the curves.
1/4 - Sunday, April 30, 2017

Kitchener Hydro still slugging away at the ground at Duke/Queen, with no end in sight.

Northbound Platform at the King St. Grade Separation.

Southbound Platform.

Bus bay platform at Charles/Water. You can see the anchors sticking up for the shelter.

No progress at the corner of Charles and Queen. I wonder what they'll do here, if anything?
2/4 - Sunday, April 30, 2017

A supersized lubricator pump is at Charles/Stirling - the only one I can think of on the whole line. I wondered if it was a 4-output model, or something - but there are only two grease lines coming out of it. There's another two pumps behind me for the other curves.

Concrete work for the access paths at Borden.

Finally got to see the waterjet track cleaner up close!

Does a great job - doesn't the finished rapidway look great when it's not covered in dirt, gravel, and construction garbage?

Platform edge work for the top finishing surfaces has begun at Laurier-Waterloo Park!
3/4 - Sunday, April 30, 2017

More path access work finishing up - this time at University of Waterloo.

Great to see trees going in along the rapidway.

Research and Technology finally got its sign!

I hate these "Waterloo Standard" light posts so much.  This piece of fake-old crap is going to be sandwiched between a super-futuristic station and a super-futuristic art installation.  Can these just... not be a thing?  Seriously?

Looking a little closer at the lettering at Research and Technology.

4/4 - Sunday, April 30, 2017

I wasn't going to jump into the nitpicking bandwagon, but this is pretty bad. Smile I might have to email Pride Signs.

Platform edge work at Northfield.

At the LRV offloading, I talked at length with a CN or CP employee (can't remember) who was retired, and used to operate Harsco track tampers. He told me a funny story about how the GrandLinq guys are "new to them" and "haven't figured out how to end curves properly". He mentioned there was a particularly bad section around the Northfield station and I should check it out sometime. He said there's a technique that takes a while to get the hang of to smooth out the starts and ends of the curves, but they hadn't done that in a bunch of spots... I finally got around to checking it out today, and sure enough, he's right! The curve overshoots quite a bit here. Won't really matter for the slow and jerky freight trains that go along here, but it made me smile remembering him telling me about it when I noticed it today.

I really can't wait for this to get fixed up. It just looks like such crap through here. Sad

Waterloo Town Square station.
I feel like all the signs look like iOS when one holds a finger down to move icons on the home screen, everything looks like it's been shaken.

That fake old-timey lights are the worse. I don't really like any streetlights that send light up into the sky; what's the point?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »