Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-18-2017, 07:25 PM)clasher Wrote: Geez, clearview was such a good choice for that signage, it looks so good.

Is that clearview? I know the large ones are, but the small ones look a bit more helvetica to me. Is there a typographer in the house?

(06-19-2017, 10:13 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 09:56 AM)urbd Wrote: Better yet, take them to Apollo Cinema in DTK. Probably the best movie theatre in the Region.

Sorry for yet another off-topic, but I agree, although there is also the Princess.  I wonder how they (Apollo) are doing?

Well, it's nice to sometimes talk about businesses that are and will benefit from ION. Apollo is doing great, and IMO it is much better than Princess. The fact that you can get alcohol makes a huge difference! Princess has great film selection and more choice, but they need to step it up a notch. I wonder why they haven't applied for a liquor permit??? Princess still appeals widely to a 60+ demographic, so it would be nice if they became more of a place to be for younger generations.
The point about the Courtland path/non-fence is a great one. I'm going to tweet about that and how ridiculous Transport Canada is.
From the looks of those wate receptacles with only trash and recycling openings it does't look like green binning or pre-sorting recyclables (paper/plastic bags vs. plastic/glass/metal) was a requirement of the RFP?

Glass enclosure work at Public Square and Allen today.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I think it's a miracle that there are separate receptacles for garbage and recycling!
It might also be a factor of whomever Grandlinq contracts for waste collection. The company that collects the waste at my work keeps all recycling together, for example.
The waste will probably all end up in the garbage because people will just throw garbage in the recycle.

(06-19-2017, 09:56 AM)urbd Wrote:
(06-17-2017, 09:59 PM)jeffster Wrote: So on topic, I am wondering how many here are going to do the Conestoga Mall to Fairview Park Mall thing. (or vice versa)

While I drive car, I think it will be fun to take the kids to chill in DTK for a bit, park at Charles/Benton garage then hop on the LRT to go to the Cineplex on Fairway.  Makes for a full afternoon and evening of fun.

Better yet, take them to Apollo Cinema in DTK. Probably the best movie theatre in the Region.

Cineplex or landmark are better, they have Guardians of the Galaxy and Wonder Woman
(06-18-2017, 04:05 PM)Canard Wrote:
(06-18-2017, 01:31 PM)Canard Wrote: 4/5 - Sunday, June 18, 2017

[Image: attachment.php?aid=3864]
Loving all the new signage.

Oops - someone on Facebook just pointed out that this has been installed incorrectly!  I've alerted the project team.

It would be better for the signs to be double sided than to have other information on the other side. They had to redo the signs at Cambridge centre because all of them had the bus stop numbers on one side
(06-19-2017, 09:32 PM)darts Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 09:56 AM)urbd Wrote: Better yet, take them to Apollo Cinema in DTK. Probably the best movie theatre in the Region.

Cineplex or landmark are better, they have Guardians of the Galaxy and Wonder Woman

Apollo will have both those in time....

I think you're making assumptions about the word "better".  For me Apollo is better because it's downtown, they serve food, and are licensed.  I don't care if I get to see the latest movie on opening day, week, or even month.

Unless you were making a joke, I really don't know.
It's the "To Fairway, Kitchener" sign that is installed on the wrong side - a quick and easy fix (they just have to remove them and install them on the other side of the main beam there).

The "To Conestoga" and "To Fairway" signs have other information on the back, because depending on what side of the sign you're standing on, you need different information.
(06-19-2017, 09:39 PM)Canard Wrote: The "To Conestoga" and "To Fairway" signs have other information on the back, because depending on what side of the sign you're standing on, you need different information.

But when standing on the platform it is good to be able to look up and confirm you are on the correct side if you didn't check when following people or had a brainfart and forgot where you were.
(06-19-2017, 09:38 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 09:32 PM)darts Wrote: Cineplex or landmark are better, they have Guardians of the Galaxy and Wonder Woman

Apollo will have both those in time....

I think you're making assumptions about the word "better".  For me Apollo is better because it's downtown, they serve food, and are licensed.  I don't care if I get to see the latest movie on opening day, week, or even month.

Unless you were making a joke, I really don't know.

And you're making assumptions too, cineplex serves food too, most others have food available that you can take in or a foodcourt in the mall.  cineplex is licensed, although if you feel that you must have a drink and can't watch a movie without one, well you might be an alcoholic. 

Of course the main reason I was saying it was better was because it has bigger movies sooner, not all of them are hits, but it is the main reason for going to a theatre. Most other movies after time can be watched at home with a sound system.

(06-19-2017, 09:56 PM)darts Wrote: And you're making assumptions too, cineplex serves food too, most others have food available that you can take in or a foodcourt in the mall.  cineplex is licensed, although if you feel that you must have a drink and can't watch a movie without one, well you might be an alcoholic. 

Of course the main reason I was saying it was better was because it has bigger movies sooner, not all of them are hits, but it is the main reason for going to a theatre. Most other movies after time can be watched at home with a sound system.

I thought Cineplex was only licensed in select "VIP" theaters.

In any case, I'm well aware they serve fast food, that's not what Apollo serves, and again, I think they only serve you food *in* the theatre in select VIP theaters.

And of course all movies can be watched at home. I don't care to go to a theater to see a movie sooner 90% of the time, but I do go to Apollo for the ambiance.
SATURDAY JUNE 24, 2017
10:00am
ALL YOU CAN EAT CEREAL & CARTOON PARTY
160 MINS, G
THE SATURDAY MORNING ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT-CEREAL CARTOON PARTY!
Curated by Kier-La Janisse

Remember Saturday mornings? Kids today may not realize the significance of the Saturday morning ritual, but once upon a time, we had to wait a whole week to get our cartoon fix, and when we got it, we tended to binge. In that gleefully gluttonous spirit, curator Kier-La Janisse presents a 3-hour trip down memory lane with a tribute to the eye-popping, brain-addling Saturday morning cartoons of yore, complete with a smorgasbord of delicious sugary cereals (and yes, we have non-dairy too!)! You’ll see both faves and obscurities spanning the 60s through the 80s, all punctuated with vintage commercials and PSAs! The lineup is always a secret, but there will be monsters, sci-fi, sleuths, superheroes and all kinds of 2D silliness, so get ready for a sugar rush and an explosion of nostalgia all wrapped up in one candy-coated package.

Lets see Cineplex do that!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »