Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I know the last one linked was altered, but even the original was extreme.

Yes; to clarify, my original photo is real. Then, Jesse slightly modified it, which I thought was hilarious. Sorry for the confusion!
It wouldn't look so bad if the backs of the lights were painted black or the same grey as the poles -- then you'd only see half of them.
(08-12-2017, 10:23 PM)Canard Wrote: 1/3 - Saturday, August 12, 2017

The look and feel of King Street has changed dramatically in Midtown.

Looking South on King, from Union.

Looking North on King, from Union.

The Waterloo Spur. This is the Southernmost point of the "Test Track", upon which LRV burn-in operations will occur, in advance of full system testing.

Waterloo Public Square turned out great, I think. Things always look so much better once some greenery goes in.
King has 1 thru lane and a left turn lane - why are 4 traffic lights needed for this (2 for the thru lane and 2 for the left turn lane).  The clutter is horrible - half the lights should go
Current practice is to install redundant traffic lights, in case one malfunctions.
Is the danger posed by a failed signal higher than the danger posed by confusing signals? Debatable.
(08-16-2017, 11:19 AM)Markster Wrote: Current practice is to install redundant traffic lights, in case one malfunctions.
Is the danger posed by a failed signal higher than the danger posed by confusing signals? Debatable.

What bugs me is why the red left turn signal isn't an arrow!  Having the lights that close together is confusing, and requires signage which shouldn't be required if the design made sense.
Bells, gates to be activated at LRT rail crossings - CTV Kitchener

(08-16-2017, 11:19 AM)Markster Wrote: Current practice is to install redundant traffic lights, in case one malfunctions.

Thanks for the explanation.   I think 2 lights each with an arrow for the left turn lane would be sufficient and would meet the redundancy requirement.   The current configuration is a total eyesore.
(08-16-2017, 02:47 PM)NotStan Wrote:

Thanks for the explanation.   I think 2 lights each with an arrow for the left turn lane would be sufficient and would meet the redundancy requirement.   The current configuration is a total eyesore.

I think the separate light is required for the fully protected left turn, which basically means you cannot turn left unless you have the green arrow.  This is necessary because the trains will be proceeding through those intersections, and wouldn't be able to if cars were waiting to turn left.

But I agree the forest of lights is really excessive.
You could get by with a 4-element light with straight and left arrows at the bottom. Would mean that cars turning right had to stop before going, unless you went to 5-element lights, but might not be the worst for pedestrian areas, assuming any drivers understood the effect of a 4-element light in that scenario.

I'm also surprised that with the advent of LEDs, we don't have LED lights capable of showing pure green (for any movement allowed), or only an arrow or multi-arrow (for more limited movements allowed).
(08-16-2017, 04:40 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: You could get by with a 4-element light with straight and left arrows at the bottom. Would mean that cars turning right had to stop before going, unless you went to 5-element lights, but might not be the worst for pedestrian areas, assuming any drivers understood the effect of a 4-element light in that scenario.

I'm also surprised that with the advent of LEDs, we don't have LED lights capable of showing pure green (for any movement allowed), or only an arrow or multi-arrow (for more limited movements allowed).

I am quite sure that is all possible technically, and with LEDs every type of shape could be shown.

I am not sure that such a thing is permitted under the HTA and associated guides.  But I'm not a policy expert, I am just assuming as I have never seen a fully protected left turn without a dedicated left turn signal.
(08-16-2017, 02:47 PM)NotStan Wrote: Thanks for the explanation.   I think 2 lights each with an arrow for the left turn lane would be sufficient and would meet the redundancy requirement.   The current configuration is a total eyesore.

Lol, OK, I didn't want to be the first one to say it either.  The clutter of all these lights and poles is far from appealing (in my humble opinion). 

Of course the safety aspect takes precedence (over personal opinion) but I can see how a lot of people would be confused depending which light(s) they are concentrating on.
A couple of fun things:
  • Awning Pro is getting creative and has set up a sign for their business directly on the Rapidway at Charles/Kent
  • There is additional lighting on the tracks at the Block Line station, and I think it looks fantastic. It's on the far side of the tracks, very directed and down, and it creates a beautiful ambience. Spot on!
  • I think the pedestrian crossing gates at Hayward/Courtland will cause challenges for drivers. Theoretically a train can pass though here without any interruption to traffic, but I know if I was driving along Courtland and I saw the arms and lights suddenly, it would give me pause.
  • Fence time: massive chainlink fence has gone up now adjacent the LRT Viewing Path that runs South from Block Line along Courtland: sads.
  • Deck plates are in for said path at the intersection it ends at by the car dealership

...Have an eye out this afternoon for the Planing and Works agenda.

Sad

(08-18-2017, 06:41 AM)Canard Wrote: ...Have an eye out this afternoon for the Planing and Works agenda.

Sad

Does this imply another big delay announcement? or another sort of bad news?
(08-18-2017, 09:12 AM)urbd Wrote:
(08-18-2017, 06:41 AM)Canard Wrote: ...Have an eye out this afternoon for the Planing and Works agenda.

Sad

Does this imply another big delay announcement? or another sort of bad news?

Sad
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »