Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(09-29-2017, 07:55 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Some people think zoning should forbid drivethroughs in urban areas. I think zoning should require that drivethroughs (and other property uses) not have an undue impact on their surroundings. Blocking the only travel lane on an important street through town counts as an undue impact.

Zoning controls what can be built (now or in the future).  But when the drive-through was built, there were four lanes of traffic, so it was highly unlikely to block traffic.  And in general, zoning is not retroactive.

(09-29-2017, 09:28 PM)Canard Wrote: I get incredible anxiety if I detect that I am blocking anyone from doing a desired movement while driving, walking, biking, whatever.  I can't believe that some people could not be aware of their surroundings enough to clue in that they're causing someone else some annoyance.

CTV running another drivel piece bitching about delays. "FOR SOME, ITS TOO LITTLE, TOO LATE."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

They are completely useless twits.

They just need a new News Director is all. Too much editorial bias in their news team
(09-29-2017, 09:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-29-2017, 07:55 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Some people think zoning should forbid drivethroughs in urban areas. I think zoning should require that drivethroughs (and other property uses) not have an undue impact on their surroundings. Blocking the only travel lane on an important street through town counts as an undue impact.

Zoning controls what can be built (now or in the future).  But when the drive-through was built, there were four lanes of traffic, so it was highly unlikely to block traffic.  And in general, zoning is not retroactive.

That is a good point. However, even with the four-lane road, Tim’s was never entitled to use part of the road as additional storage for its customers’ cars. It’s just more obvious now that the entire road is blocked rather than just 1 of 2 lanes.
www.rideion.ca has been officially decommisioned and now redirects to the ION page on GRT's website
(09-30-2017, 04:38 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: www.rideion.ca has been officially decommisioned and now redirects to the ION page on GRT's website

Ahhh, great spotting. I think they mentioned that was coming in the last email update. I wonder if that means the GrandLinq offices on Weber (where the ServiceOntario office is/was) will be shutting soon as well?

They have a different map on there, rotated slightly!

[Image: ION-route-map-stations-72dpi.png]

I like it!

Does anyone else feel like it isn't really necessary to show on the map though that the tracks split at Borden/Mill? There are no stations along there, so it's irrelevant to a passenger that there is a split.
I used to frequent that Tim Hortons quite regularly on my drive to work. It always amazed me when I would park and go into the store and walk out to find that the line had hardly moved.
Is there an actual map of the route on Google Maps? I don't find any of the system maps on the official site particularly useful, and the one posted on Reddit years ago is dead now.

Also, any update on the emergency vehicles using the LRT right of way issue? We've heard all along they would be able to mount curbs to clear traffic, but last year the deputy fire chief said that was out of the question, which is of course the definitive opinion among the LRT naysayers since it hasn't been addressed further.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/698...-clearing/

Here's one I made ages ago with limited resolution on the curves and me not knowing exactly where the stations were planned.
The tracks are shown on Google maps as a thin gray line, and on OSM as a dotted line. I assume they'll show up as transit routes with stops once the Region adds them to its General Transit Feed data.
ALERT. LRT was spotted at 230 pm towards end of a GEXR (?) train westbound as spotted from York Road at approximately Watson parkway on east side of Guelph
Thanks! Wow! Sounds like it may show up in Waterloo Region this afternoon!
(09-30-2017, 02:57 PM)Canard Wrote: Thanks! Wow! Sounds like it may show up in Waterloo Region this afternoon!

So it seems likely it would park at the Lancaster St. yard (hmm, in light of our previous discussion, I wonder what its official railway name is?) today, and then come up the Waterloo Spur on Monday evening. Faster than we thought!
502 has arrived in Waterloo Region!!

CTV producers furiously cueing b-roll of people on the street making negative comments about the LRT Big Grin
If it was picked up Wednesday by the local switcher that's 3 days shipping time from Kingston not bad considering the first one took 10 days to get here from Thunder Bay
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »