Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Hi MacBerry,

I design precision high-speed automation. I understand fully that things don’t always work or go as planned. Smile No one is saying that things shouldn’t be fixed.

My issue is that heavy construction wrapped up a year ago. Track measurements resulting in the discovery of fatal flaws requiring concrete to be jackhammered should have been taken a year ago, not months before service start. It is now a critical path item which will undoubtedly result in delays.

Had it been resolved last spring/summer, there would be no impact to service start. Now they are holding up testing.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sect...-1.3844502
I'm going to say it's either weather related check (see how it holds up after winter), or contractual, where they didn't have to do it until now, and nobody would pay as a contractor to do work early if it wasn't beneficial.
(03-16-2018, 06:37 AM)Canard Wrote: Hi MacBerry,

I design precision high-speed automation. I understand fully that things don’t always work or go as planned. Smile No one is saying that things shouldn’t be fixed.

My issue is that heavy construction wrapped up a year ago. Track measurements resulting in the discovery of fatal flaws requiring concrete to be jackhammered should have been taken a year ago, not months before service start. It is now a critical path item which will undoubtedly result in delays.

Had it been resolved last spring/summer, there would be no impact to service start. Now they are holding up testing.

My thinking is that once the trains went onto these tracks they noticed minor issues, hence the fine tuning. Might be simply a matter of reducing wear-and-tear on trains by aligning things better.
(03-16-2018, 06:37 AM)Canard Wrote: Hi MacBerry,

It's not holding up testing too much. They can still do testing on the sections of track that aren't closed. As for why they are doing it now the reason is simple: they are finally testing vehicles. one of the downsides to doing embedded rail is that you have to remove parts of the concrete to realign the rails if they go out of alignment for any reason. one of those reasons is the concrete curing process.
One of the guys I talked to yesterday said they are going to have their wheel lathe up and running pretty soon.

(03-14-2018, 01:05 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/sect...-1.3844502

Good to know Grandlinq will be making an "attempt" to improve the tracks. Oh CTV  Rolleyes
Another example of the amount of time needed for testing.

Charlotte, NC just open an extension to an existing line.

Testing began in June 2017. That's almost 10 months of testing on an extension (~16km and 11 stations) of an existing line.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
The KPL website has more info re the art exhibit, including a link to the artist's website. http://www.kpl.org/art-exhibits

I see the beginning of the Canard Collection of Transit Art ....
Oh my gosh, thank you! Even more, here:

http://www.robertwanka.com/

I have a feeling if he puts these up for sale, there will be a bidding war just among people on this forum!!
I believe they are all up for sale (they all had prices listed)

Not the newer (LRT) ones; his older paintings had prices.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »