Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The nightly train just left the Lancaster yard, with 506 in tow. Should be in UpTown Waterloo in about 20 minutes.

Crossing lights at Caroline/erb did not turn off
[video=YouTube]https://youtu.be/XgiXXXMa4do[/video]
Yeah, I called the Hotline, but gave up after being on hold for over 15 minutes. GRT showed up to direct traffic shortly thereafter. The arm at Erb failed to lift.

Also, it looks like someone broke into the LRV. The one door was busted open and rattling. So, there you go. I’m wrong, you’re right.
(04-30-2018, 11:34 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, I called the Hotline, but gave up after being on hold for over 15 minutes. GRT showed up to direct traffic shortly thereafter. The arm at Erb failed to lift.

Also, it looks like someone broke into the LRV. The one door was busted open and rattling. So, there you go. I’m wrong, you’re right.

It really is a shame that you'd have to be wrong on this one. I was hoping you were right, as probably was everyone else. But Lancaster yard is a horrible place to store a multi-million dollar vehicle without some sort of paid security. Hopefully the region will learn its lesson about trying to save a few hundred dollars on a billion+ dollar project. Somehow I doubt though the the boneheads at the region will clue in, even if what you saw is true. They all be stubborn as hell.
(04-30-2018, 11:34 PM)Canard Wrote: Yeah, I called the Hotline, but gave up after being on hold for over 15 minutes. GRT showed up to direct traffic shortly thereafter. The arm at Erb failed to lift.

Sad That doesn’t make me happy! Actually I wasn’t even thinking of vandalism as such, just graffiti (arguably also vandalism, but in my mind painting something is different from breaking it).
(05-01-2018, 06:55 AM)jeffster Wrote:

It really is a shame that you'd have to be wrong on this one. I was hoping you were right, as probably was everyone else. But Lancaster yard is a horrible place to store a multi-million dollar vehicle without some sort of paid security. Hopefully the region will learn its lesson about trying to save a few hundred dollars on a billion+ dollar project. Somehow I doubt though the the boneheads at the region will clue in, even if what you saw is true. They all be stubborn as hell.

Is it actually on the region though?  Or Bombardier.  AFAIK they wouldn't have transferred ownership until delivery is completed.

It is a shame though.

As for the rail crossing, it really is unacceptable that the hotline would have such a long wait time...  I didn't know that GRT would direct traffic?

Are you basing this "break in" by the blue tape/missing white tape? If so, I just went back to the picture of it in Belleville on facebook a few weeks ago and I saw that there as well.
(05-01-2018, 07:39 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 06:55 AM)jeffster Wrote: It really is a shame that you'd have to be wrong on this one. I was hoping you were right, as probably was everyone else. But Lancaster yard is a horrible place to store a multi-million dollar vehicle without some sort of paid security. Hopefully the region will learn its lesson about trying to save a few hundred dollars on a billion+ dollar project. Somehow I doubt though the the boneheads at the region will clue in, even if what you saw is true. They all be stubborn as hell.

Is it actually on the region though?  Or Bombardier.  AFAIK they wouldn't have transferred ownership until delivery is completed.

It is a shame though.

As for the rail crossing, it really is unacceptable that the hotline would have such a long wait time...  I didn't know that GRT would direct traffic?

For one, we're assuming that the LRT was actually damaged. As for who's actually on the hook if the vehicle is damaged, I'm not sure if Bombardier would be to blame, but they could be. Could be a shared responsibility too (with the region, or even the delivery agent).

Either way, though, a proactive approach should have been taken. If it is Bombardier's fault, most likely this would be an insurance claim, so no loss to them, and it gives them an easier out if things aren't ready on time. If it is the regions fault, then it's another black-eye for these politicians. Personally I think they should have spent the money on some security regardless who's responsibility it was. The City of Kitchener still has plenty of part-time security officers or bi-law officers that probably would have appreciated the hours. Assuming 50 hours were needed, this would have cost about $2,300 ($35/hour add 30% for benefits, OMERS, etc * 50 hours). Very small price to pay to keep the trains in pristine condition.
(05-01-2018, 06:55 AM)jeffster Wrote: It really is a shame that you'd have to be wrong on this one. I was hoping you were right, as probably was everyone else. But Lancaster yard is a horrible place to store a multi-million dollar vehicle without some sort of paid security. Hopefully the region will learn its lesson about trying to save a few hundred dollars on a billion+ dollar project. Somehow I doubt though the the boneheads at the region will clue in, even if what you saw is true. They all be stubborn as hell.

We don’t know where whatever happened happened. Lancaster may not be the only problematic location, especially with the length of time this vehicle took getting here. With a shortest-likely trip, it would spend very little time parked and there wouldn’t be much of an opportunity for damage.
According to today's Daily Bulletin

Quote:Beginning Tuesday and continued to Friday, May 4, GrandLinq will be testing the ION Light Rail Vehicle (LRV) between the Conestoga Mall stop and the Erb/Caroline intersection. This work will require the LRV to travel at its design speed, up to 70 km per hour.
Most likely the shipment would have some sort of insurance on it that would cover the damage.
(05-01-2018, 07:39 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:

If this happened while in transit, I would really expect it to be the carrier's responsibility -- and likely covered by insurance. The region/Grandlinq would be purchasing the trains on CIF (cost + insurance + freight) terms, and BBD would contract with CN/CP to deliver the trains safely to the region. This is really no different than shipping something by FedEx/UPS (except that FedEx/UPS actually have service levels that they meet).

Passed 507 running up Northfield on my drive in this morning, and the 506 offload is happening now. It's a different flat car than last time too, so they can potentially turn around shipments faster than we thought!
Maybe we can see a dual delivery? That would be awesome to see 2 for 1 coming up the spur.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »