Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-10-2015, 04:16 PM)isUsername Wrote: 200m rails? Is that right?

I'm guessing it's a typo for 20m long sections. 

(03-10-2015, 04:21 PM)isUsername Wrote: A picture from the Twitterverse: Source.

1,600 feet is about 500 metres. If 1,600 feet is correct it's possible the rails are shipped in shorter sections, then welded in position with provision for thermal expansion every 1,600 feet. Heavy rail uses continuously welded tracks that run much longer than that. 

The "clickety-clack" sound is probably less of an issue with LRT due to the slower speeds and shorter distances. In any case, based on my ride on the new Spadina cars, the experience is quieter and smoother than any bus I've ridden.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ookpik - 03-10-2015, 04:27 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM