Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Oh, hey look, there's another group of people who this delay hurts.

(11-09-2018, 09:55 AM)Momo26 Wrote: So there is another delay..until the spring. What the heck is going on? Seriously...atrocious amounts of delays. I know with such a grand project of its magnitude, could they not have predicted a more accurate timeline of train delivery, testing and launch? What was the original launch date?

2017, exact date never specified but I always assumed Fall, maybe September. Signs posted on the Spur Line trail gave July 2017 as a date when things would change in some way, although the signs never made sense in the first place so who knows. LRV deliveries were supposed to be spread over the second half of 2016.

The early delays were mostly Bombardier’s fault, as far as I can tell; but the more recent ones are more about Metrolinx’ failure to get their equipment together. Makes me wonder what would have happened if Bombardier hadn’t messed up early on; they would have had 14 vehicles ready for delivery in 2016, but would the Metrolinx equipment have been ready? What if Bombardier hadn’t messed up and Rob Ford and then McGuinty and Wynne hadn’t screwed up Transit City? The Sheppard line was supposed to open in 2012 I think; from here it’s not at all obvious that either Bombardier or Metrolinx would have been ready with vehicles and equipment. On the other hand, maybe both groups would have had more of a sense of urgency if it wasn’t just our small town trolley that was waiting but Toronto’s big system.
Original date was always Fall 2017, from day 1.

JCnb - I caught a new trackmobile heading north on the Conestoga parkway a few weeks ago, I wonder if they’ve bought a bunch more of them!

510 left on Wednesday, so my guess is it’ll be picked up by CN today, for Monday delivery/trip up the spur, Tuesday offloading.
(11-09-2018, 12:09 PM)Canard Wrote: Original date was always Fall 2017, from day 1.

JCnb - I caught a new trackmobile heading north on the Conestoga parkway a few weeks ago, I wonder if they’ve bought a bunch more of them!

510 left on Wednesday, so my guess is it’ll be picked up by CN today, for Monday delivery/trip up the spur, Tuesday offloading.

That was for launch of service. Trains were supposed to have arrived December 2016.
(11-09-2018, 09:55 AM)Momo26 Wrote: What was the original launch date?

(11-09-2018, 12:09 PM)Canard Wrote: Original date was always Fall 2017, from day 1.
(11-09-2018, 09:55 AM)Momo26 Wrote: So there is another delay..until the spring. What the heck is going on? Seriously...atrocious amounts of delays. I know with such a grand project of its magnitude, could they not have predicted a more accurate timeline of train delivery, testing and launch? What was the original launch date?

Original date was sometime later 2017 (so anywhere between September and December?).

I've said a few times already they should have given an intentional delay date (late 2019/early 2020) and if there were too many delays then the announced "delay date" would have been accurate. If our LRT opens in spring 2019, then they'd look like hero's because it would be opening at least 6 months early. That really would be ROW staff's fault since most systems start late. Experience (or others experience) is the best teacher, so why we hadn't learned from it, I don't know why.

I was about to say, what is The Hop and that announcement sounds like the LRT is up and running :\
(11-09-2018, 12:09 PM)Canar Wrote: JCnb - I caught a new trackmobile heading north on the Conestoga parkway a few weeks ago, I wonder if they’ve bought a bunch more of them!

I work on Dutton and spot the trackmobile being unloaded right around the time a train gets delivered (give or take a day). I assume they keep bringing one in for unload and don't actually keep one on site? Wouldn't have much use for them otherwise with the little electric robots for yard work.
Back in 2009 when the preferred mode was picked they thought the opening was going to be 2014:
“Opening 2014”
June 2009 - RAPID TRANSIT ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT PHASE 2, STEP 3b – PREFERRED RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM OPTION AND STAGING PLAN
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...df#page=23

Fast-forward to 2012 when the LRV contract was awarded it had become was “early 2017”:
“Based on light rail ridership forecast, 14 light rail vehicles (LRVs) will be required to provide service in early 2017.”
June 2012 - STAGE 1 LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT: VEHICLE PROCUREMENT
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...pdf#page=1

It wasn’t until much later that “late 2017” started to appear in reports.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
jgsz Wrote: The Hop is from Milwaukee.  How is that helpful?

Because people were on about how will we handle this. Here’s an example of how another city is handling it. I apologize for the intrusion. Have a nice day!
JCnb
I caught a new trackmobile heading north on the Conestoga parkway a few weeks ago, I wonder if they’ve bought a bunch more of them!
[/quote' Wrote:
I work on Dutton and spot the trackmobile being unloaded right around the time a train gets delivered (give or take a day). I assume they keep bringing one in for unload and don't actually keep one on site? Wouldn't have much use for them otherwise with the little electric robots for yard work.

Oh, gosh - that makes total sense! That never occurred to me. Thanks!!

(11-09-2018, 02:44 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: Back in 2009 when the preferred mode was picked they thought the opening was going to be 2014:
“Opening 2014”
June 2009 - RAPID TRANSIT ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT PHASE 2, STEP 3b – PREFERRED RAPID TRANSIT SYSTEM OPTION AND STAGING PLAN
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...df#page=23

Fast-forward to 2012 when the LRV contract was awarded it had become was “early 2017”:
“Based on light rail ridership forecast, 14 light rail vehicles (LRVs) will be required to provide service in early 2017.”
June 2012 - STAGE 1 LIGHT RAIL TRANSIT: VEHICLE PROCUREMENT
http://rapidtransit.regionofwaterloo.ca/...pdf#page=1

It wasn’t until much later that “late 2017” started to appear in reports.

*sigh*...and in 2010 I chose to stay in the city because I thought I'd have LRT in a couple of years.
It's all right, it'll be here in a couple of years from now for sure! Wink
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »