Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Just in case anyone is looking to catch some LRV action today, both 511 and 512 are out. One is leaving Fairway heading North, the other is somewhere around Mill, heading South.

There is trackwork going on (Railterm) between Northfield and Erb/Caroline, so I'm not sure what the plan is for today (either just testing at the South end of the alignment, using a crossover to short turn, or reverse-run past the Railterm folks).

(12-08-2018, 10:32 AM)Canard Wrote: Just in case anyone is looking to catch some LRV action today, both 511 and 512 are out.  One is leaving Fairway heading North, the other is somewhere around Mill, heading South.

There is trackwork going on (Railterm) between Northfield and Erb/Caroline, so I'm not sure what the plan is for today (either just testing at the South end of the alignment, using a crossover to short turn, or reverse-run past the Railterm folks).
They pulled down the decorations from 511 yesterday after their Christkindle train visit. I r disappoint Tongue
Oh no!

But at least you still have 511's "13" adhesive residue!
Testing is going to get interesting in the near future. Bombardier has a bunch more proof-of-concept testing they want to do here once they are done doing the same stuff in Kingston.
(12-08-2018, 11:31 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Testing is going to get interesting in the near future. Bombardier has a bunch more proof-of-concept testing they want to do here once they are done doing the same stuff in Kingston.

Forgive the potentially silly question, but what is this?
There are lots of funky tests still to come, once the core testing is complete.

One of the more interesting ones will be a test involving four vehicles, down along the Hydro Corridor near Fairway. They'll have all 4 "punch it" (two in each direction), to tax the TPSS' in the area as much as they can. It'll be had to catch this test when it happens, but it'd be amazing to watch!
That sounds awesome!!

Is it from a complete stop?

Yes! Maximume vitesement, lol!
What does the test accomplish? I can't imagine any situation when that many vehicles would be in the area, especially not when multiple vehicles on the same track fully accelerate at the same time.... that's just asking for a crash.

Also, why only test it in the hydro corridor, and not along the northfield-R&T stretch (or elsewhere)?
(12-08-2018, 09:03 PM)GtwoK Wrote: What does the test accomplish? I can't imagine any situation when that many vehicles would be in the area, especially not when multiple vehicles on the same track fully accelerate at the same time.... that's just asking for a crash.

Also, why only test it in the hydro corridor, and not along the northfield-R&T stretch (or elsewhere)?

It makes sure the power supply can handle any reasonable scenario. Hydro corridor is an easy place to do it because it’s a nice straight space with few (too few, as has been discussed elsewhere) crossings. Or so I surmise — I have no line to expert knowledge. This is actually why I really wish the LRT project had an official blogger. One person embedded within the project could have provided lots of information that us enthusiasts would have really appreciated while also providing less detailed information with a broader audience.
(12-08-2018, 09:03 PM)GtwoK Wrote: What does the test accomplish? I can't imagine any situation when that many vehicles would be in the area, especially not when multiple vehicles on the same track fully accelerate at the same time.... that's just asking for a crash.

It's the longest stretch of straight track that runs off road. They are doing this test because the power system is supposed to be designed to handle fully loaded 2-car trains at 5-minute headways. Under normal conditions two of these "ultimate trains" are supposed to be able to start simultaneously at each station stop and maintain their rated acceleration without voltage at the train dropping below 525 V DC.

Seriously?!?  This is obviously prep work for Waterloo Region vs Ottawa LRT drag racing.
503 is out of the shop! (only moving around in the yard as far as I can tell)

According to CTV Kitchener at least 1 vehicle has achieved PAC https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1561995
(12-11-2018, 08:50 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: According to CTV Kitchener at least 1 vehicle has achieved PAC https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1561995

That's great news!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »