Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-08-2015, 08:42 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: That "ruling" seems ridiculous. Even the new multi-use spur trail only has a naturally landscaped buffer 1.0m of unmown grass and 1.0m of drainage swale (within the track envelope) separating the track and trail. There is more than 2.0 between the proposed LRT tracks and the trail. I guess all of Europe has it wrong.

The multi-use spur trail will be along a single-track freight line that will see two trains a day (~11:30pm and ~5:00am) travelling around 10-15mph which is a far cry from traffic levels and speeds proposed for the LRT line north of King Street.

(04-09-2015, 12:08 PM)Canard Wrote: Let's even the (heavily biased) tables a bit on that view, shall we?

This is my favourite portion of the route, and I can't wait to take pictures and videos along here.
 If you've been by this route lately, I think you'll find that a good portion of the trees between the trail and the rail line have been removed to make way for the LRT tracks.

Before everyone gets too worked up about the fence, consider the following:
1. The Region told the City's Trails and Transportation Committee at least 6 years ago that a fence was needed along this section.  The Region also initially indicated that concrete Jersey barriers would be required along King Street.  The Jersey barriers have since been dropped.

2. The Region would have included in their specifications to the bidders that a 6' fence was needed.  I understand from speaking to an engineer who was involved with one of the bidding consortiums that the cheapest possible fencing was being proposed in order to come in on budget (among other things I'm sure).

3. The Region signed an agreement with GrandLinq that said (and I paraphrase), "You will build a fence as proposed in your bid. Any change requests to this design shall be responsibility of the requestee to cover the costs."  Translation: if GrandLinq has to change the design for whatever reason, GrandLinq pays; if the Region wants to change the design for whatever reason, the Region pays; if the City wants a prettier fence, the City pays.

I suspect that GrandLinq budgeted for the cheapest possible fence that met the 6' requirement with the gamble that the City would make enough of a fuss that the more expensive fence was put in place on the City's dime.  The end result will be a pretty fence that GrandLinq doesn't have to pay for.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by nms - 04-09-2015, 10:44 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM