Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-15-2015, 01:35 PM)Canard Wrote: Great find re: Heaters - I don't remember coming across that before. Very cool!

The stops along Hespeler/24 are almost finished; there is a glass enclosed area now, too (not just one big open platform). Digital signs are up now too. No sign of priority signal lights though at the intersections (I understand at least 2 were to get Queue-Jump priority from the right turn lane). I assume those will be "White bar" lights.

In this pdf file, http://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/region...4-0107.pdf section 4 and 5 talks about the queue jumps and traffic signal pre-emption.   I emailed ion and region of waterloo about which option in section 5 they were going to use, but received no reply.

Edit:  Sorry looks like that link has expired 3 days ago, not the same page I'm talking about.

This is part of what I read: 4. ION aBRT Queue Jumps

A key feature of aBRT is to ensure that buses can avoid congestion along the Hespeler
Road and Ainslie Street corridor. Therefore, queue jumps will be provided along this
corridor in order to optimize aBRT operations and ensure a reliable and quick service
for users. A queue jump is a right turn and bus only lane that will allow, with the aid of
January 7, 2014 4 Report: E-14-001
1511689 Page 4 of 35
traffic signals, buses to bypass traffic queued at busy intersections.
A detailed traffic analysis was undertaken using Synchro and SimTraffic traffic
simulation to determine where queue jumps would be most beneficial. It was
determined that intersection approaches with traffic operating at level of service (LOS)
D and above (E & F) were problematic areas (with average delays of 35 seconds or
more per vehicle) and were identified as candidates for improvements. The majority of
intersections along the corridor operate at acceptable levels of service providing a LOS
of C or better (average delay per vehicle is 35 seconds or less). The following
intersections, however, have congestion that requires queue jumps:
Hespeler Road at Pinebush Road/Eagle Street
Hespeler Road at Munch Avenue
Hespeler Road at Coronation Boulevard/Dundas Street
The design of these queue jumps will be included in the aBRT tender package.
5. ION aBRT Signal Priority
In early 2014 staff will continue to evaluate where Transit Signal Priority (TSP) can be
accommodated and what technology and/or techniques are the most appropriate. The
TSP technologies/techniques that will be evaluated may include:
Detection of buses only during the red light phase.
Modify current software to add a lane monitoring feature.
Install in-ground detection technology that will only detect buses equipped with a
device.
Install a transponder at each queue jump, detecting buses or vehicles with a
pairing device.
A fixed video camera detection calibrated to detect buses in the queue jump.
To date, staff have been working to ensure that all of the necessary civil requirements
for signal upgrades and TSP are included in the aBRT tender package.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by Square - 04-15-2015, 09:35 PM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM