Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-08-2015, 06:20 AM)Canard Wrote: Personally, I love park-and-ride systems, and I would have thought others would, too, since it's incentive for those living outside the downtown cores to leave their cars outside and take transit in. Ion is a hard sell for car drivers who live out of town (especially those coming into the region along 401) and work downtown to bother fighting traffic on Fairway to park at the mall and take the train, when they can be in downtown in less time. Had there been a Park-and-Ride lot at Sportsworld (which I hope some day there will be), it becomes far more palatable.  It has to have an anchor point, with some way to get from your house to that anchor. If you live along the line, you're all set. But for the majority of people who don't, they need somewhere to park.

Park-and-ride isn't very good for developing a vibrant urban fabric and I think it tends to promote sprawl. Plus it's hard to use if you don't already have a car. I also think that our LRT route was designed so that a growing majority of people would live along the line.

But hey, it's a good land bank for future development, sort of like the Square One parking lots.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by plam - 05-08-2015, 09:33 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM