Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-13-2015, 08:43 PM)jamincan Wrote: The stone ones are my least favourite designs, actually, though that might be due to stone being hard to render well.

Does anyone know why they have two separate tracks connecting the MSF to the southbound track? It appears it's intended that they operate in opposite directions, but I can't figure out why it would be necessary to configure it like that.

I believe that is the plan from the RFP documents, and it is only representative, not the actual plan for the MSF. Having said that, I agree the double connection to the southbound track (and no North-pointing connection to the northbound track) simply makes no sense. Actually, the entire part of the track layout connecting to the main line makes little sense to me. I’m not an actual track designer, so I may be missing something (and would love to be corrected by an actual expert), but I think I have some sense of what moves are required in normal operation and I don’t understand why the design shown would ever be committed to paper.

I have seen a more up-to-date plan for the MSF, but unfortunately I can’t remember where, so I can’t cite it. It might have been on this board. My recollection is the more up-to-date plan doesn’t have a loop-around track and connects quite differently to the main line. Also, buildings are in slightly different locations, so don’t be surprised if a careful examination of the RFP plan doesn’t match up in detail with what is actually being built.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit - by ijmorlan - 06-14-2015, 07:44 AM
[No subject] - by Spokes - 08-28-2014, 04:16 PM