Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment
I think it's time to create a thread for this: the region is now starting a needs-assessment for the property.
https://www.therecord.com/news-story/933...n-the-air/

"We're in the process of assessing the need for it," said Peter Zinck, the region's director of transit services. "We'll be looking at what needs to stay and what needs to go. Do we need to keep that facility for other reasons? If it's decided the transit service no longer needs the site, it would then be considered for other regional services. If it's not needed, it could be sold. But no decisions have been made yet."

This is, at least in my opinion, possibly the most desirable parcel of land in DTK. On the LRT, a block away from Kings St, bordering Victoria Park, and big enough for a significant development (1.05 ha for the terminal, plus 0.14 ha for the city-owned parking lot at the corner of Charles and Ontario).

Let the speculation and proposals begin!

A condo tower or two seems inevitable, but I'd hope for some office space and retail frontage on Charles, and, ideally, an expanded "plaza" at the corner of Charles and (a pedestrianized) Gaukel.
I vote for an expansion of Victoria Park into the city.   There is lots of other spaces available for more condo towers, it would be a shame to lose the opportunity to make Vitoria Park an even more incredible feature of the city. 

I thought I saw something previously about how city of Kitchener actually doesn't have enough park space.  This could be a solution.
(05-06-2019, 09:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote: A condo tower or two seems inevitable, but I'd hope for some office space and retail frontage on Charles, and, ideally, an expanded "plaza" at the corner of Charles and (a pedestrianized) Gaukel.

Personally I'd like to see that plaza at Joseph and Gaukel, since there is no chance to expand to the other corners at Charles, and on the Joseph side it would match up with Victoria Park. And, yes, a pedestrian/cyclist-only Gaukel Greenway.
(05-06-2019, 10:28 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 09:37 AM)panamaniac Wrote: A condo tower or two seems inevitable, but I'd hope for some office space and retail frontage on Charles, and, ideally, an expanded "plaza" at the corner of Charles and (a pedestrianized) Gaukel.

Personally I'd like to see that plaza at Joseph and Gaukel, since there is no chance to expand to the other corners at Charles, and on the Joseph side it would match up with Victoria Park. And, yes, a pedestrian/cyclist-only Gaukel Greenway.

Yes, that could be an option, and the block is slightly deeper on that side, I think - anything that adds more public space to Kitchener's rather constrained downtown core is OK for me.  I'd love to see Francis Green expanded eventually by taking over the building that houses Ziggy's, for example.
(05-06-2019, 10:08 AM)REnerd Wrote: I vote for an expansion of Victoria Park into the city.   There is lots of other spaces available for more condo towers, it would be a shame to lose the opportunity to make Vitoria Park an even more incredible feature of the city. 

I thought I saw something previously about how city of Kitchener actually doesn't have enough park space.  This could be a solution.

I'd certainly have no complaint, but I suspect that the land will be considered too valuable for that.
I think so, too. The city would need to buy it from the region (based on the article, it does appear the region owns the site) and a one-hectare site at this location would be quite expensive.

Victoria Park is already a good size, I would rather try to add some smaller parks in neighbourhoods that don't have any. In the market district, for example.

What about a combined school/community centre? As the population grows downtown, the kids are going to need to go somewhere for school.
(05-06-2019, 12:29 PM)nms Wrote: What about a combined school/community centre? As the population grows downtown, the kids are going to need to go somewhere for school.

Cameron Heights and KCI can handle the downtown population growth. It makes more sense to build another high school (if needed) in the suburbs, and reducing the busing in of kids to KCI and Cameron Heights.

I don't know the primary school capacity situation, though.
I believe Suddaby and King Edward are covering the downtown population quite well as it stands. Keep in mind, Victoria School was right there on Joseph but closed due to low enrolment.
There is a citizen group brainstorming ideas for Gaukel.

This is the design that I contributed to that group as an idea for the long term plan for the terminal:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?m...00004&z=17
I think we'll see two residential towers there with a mix of uses elsewhere on site, retail, commercial, maybe even some community space
(05-06-2019, 12:29 PM)nms Wrote: What about a combined school/community centre? As the population grows downtown, the kids are going to need to go somewhere for school.

There's a community centre just up the street, on Young and Weber....

An article about the next steps for the former terminal.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/970...-for-at-le
(11-14-2019, 06:16 AM)rangersfan Wrote: An article about the next steps for the former terminal.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/970...-for-at-le
I think a new larger arena, like Bud Gardens would be perfect there.  There is lots of parking, transit, everything you need.... And the restaurants would benefit huge !!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »