Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
10 Duke St W | 45 fl | Proposed
(12-22-2022, 07:50 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(12-20-2022, 04:22 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: What sort of perspective draws farther away, less interesting features larger than nearer, more interesting ones? They should have used an isometric projection if they didn't want it to get smaller.

I think the building rendering is isometric, but it's on top of a photo that's not. The combination of two different perspectives in a single image creates the impression of getting wider towards the top. It's pretty common in architectural renderings, this conversation has happened on this forum before for other buildings.

That's not a photo, that's also just a rendering (notice how different the LRT vehicle looks). It's just an unusual perspective to fit a tall building within a usable image resolution/screen. It's a common trick used in architectural renderings. Some of the Q Condo renders have the same effect: https://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/...9#pid90249

(12-22-2022, 07:50 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(12-20-2022, 04:22 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: What sort of perspective draws farther away, less interesting features larger than nearer, more interesting ones? They should have used an isometric projection if they didn't want it to get smaller.

I think the building rendering is isometric, but it's on top of a photo that's not. The combination of two different perspectives in a single image creates the impression of getting wider towards the top. It's pretty common in architectural renderings, this conversation has happened on this forum before for other buildings.

The tower is narrower than my finger at the podium and significantly wider than my finger at the top, so it's not an isometric rectangle. It looks a bit like they applied a fish-eye effect to an isometric render.
(12-22-2022, 10:20 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The tower is narrower than my finger at the podium and significantly wider than my finger at the top, so it's not an isometric rectangle. It looks a bit like they applied a fish-eye effect to an isometric render.

Here's a tight crop of the tower, it looks pretty parallel to the edge of the image to me. I think the perspective is playing tricks on your perception, it's the same width all the way up.

(12-23-2022, 02:13 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(12-22-2022, 10:20 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The tower is narrower than my finger at the podium and significantly wider than my finger at the top, so it's not an isometric rectangle. It looks a bit like they applied a fish-eye effect to an isometric render.

Here's a tight crop of the tower, it looks pretty parallel to the edge of the image to me. I think the perspective is playing tricks on your perception, it's the same width all the way up.

The vertical lines are parallel, but compare the horizontal lines on the podium and the top of the tower.
(12-23-2022, 08:59 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The vertical lines are parallel, but compare the horizontal lines on the podium and the top of the tower.

That's how perspective works ...
(12-23-2022, 08:59 PM)jwilliamson Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 02:13 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Here's a tight crop of the tower, it looks pretty parallel to the edge of the image to me. I think the perspective is playing tricks on your perception, it's the same width all the way up.

The vertical lines are parallel, but compare the horizontal lines on the podium and the top of the tower.

Whoops, sure enough, you're right it's not isometric. But keeping vertical lines parallel is a common way to render buildings, even if it looks a little odd.

(12-25-2022, 05:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-23-2022, 08:59 PM)jwilliamson Wrote: The vertical lines are parallel, but compare the horizontal lines on the podium and the top of the tower.

That's how perspective works ...

A real photo would have the vertical lines converging too.
The first floor of the existing building is all boarded up. I wonder if this means they're hoping to start, though I don't believe this has been formally approved.

Not approved yet, it’s been under review since June of last year. Taking a very long time
I guess we'll have to see. Vanmar doesn't seem to rush things, though given how long Station Park is going to take, I imagine they'll at least try to start this or the Ziggy's project at the same time.
I emailed city staff for an update on this project.

“ We have resolved most of the heritage and urban design issues. Planning staff sent final comments to the applicant last week and I expect that we'll receive a finalized site plan drawing very soon that we'll able to grant conditional approval to”
This popped up on Instagram today. Looks like they are still moving forward.

https://www.instagram.com/vanmar_constru...mg_index=1
(02-07-2024, 01:39 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: This popped up on Instagram today.  Looks like they are still moving forward.

https://www.instagram.com/vanmar_constru...mg_index=1

"This project consists of a 40-storey tower with 499 units with above-grade parking in a 6-storey podium. The exterior walls of the existing 3-storey heritage building are required to be preserved and will be I ntegrated into the podium façade."

This suggests to me that the existing facade will be kept as the exterior of the parking podium, does that feel right? I hope they at least keep the big double doors facing Duke St as the main entrance, it's a gorgeous entryway with the stonework.
Thats what I was thinking too, that the exterior will just be a facia for the parking structure... , Maybe they can incorporate the entrance at least...

It appears some of our fine citizens attempted to break into this building recently, so they added some metal bars over top of the wooden boards. Some of the boarding on the door was broken. I'm assuming they were looking to squat the building or steal whatever they could find of value.

What a shame, but that's the state of things these days.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »