Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
Charles St GRT terminal redevelopment
Far too small a site, no? (I'm spatially challenged so could be wrong).

I imagine the pressure to sell the land to the highest bidder will be extremely high, but I wonder whether there could be any momentum developed for public facilites of some kind or even an affordable housing component?

I do agree that the property is too small for any significant sports facility.

But the region is clearly willing to consider other options and not just moving forward to sell it to a developer.
(11-14-2019, 11:38 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Far too small a site, no? (I'm spatially challenged so could be wrong).

I imagine the pressure to sell the land to the highest bidder will be extremely high, but I wonder whether there could be any momentum developed for public facilites of some kind or even an affordable housing component?

(11-14-2019, 12:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I do agree that the property is too small for any significant sports facility.

But the region is clearly willing to consider other options and not just moving forward to sell it to a developer.

I just measured both on Google Earth and Budweiser Gardens without the surface parking and plaza is approx 11,000 m2 and Charles St Terminal is 12,000 m2, so at least a similar building could fit.
I would like to see a hotel/convention centre that also includes a condo or apartment building.
(11-14-2019, 12:36 PM)urbd Wrote: I just measured both on Google Earth and Budweiser Gardens without the surface parking and plaza is approx 11,000 m2 and Charles St Terminal is 12,000 m2, so at least a similar building could fit.

And the Aud building footprint is around 15000m².
I really like the notion of using the space to extend Victoria Park, and all the things Sam Nabi's been advocating.
(11-14-2019, 01:28 PM)kps Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 12:36 PM)urbd Wrote: I just measured both on Google Earth and Budweiser Gardens without the surface parking and plaza is approx 11,000 m2 and Charles St Terminal is 12,000 m2, so at least a similar building could fit.

And the Aud building footprint is around 15000m².

If the preferred development was just a little short on space then Joseph St. could be adjusted slightly to get extra space if needed. I would be strongly against building an arena “in the park” but shaving a bit off the side to make it fit would be OK.

That being said, I don’t particularly favour a large new sports facility.

Bud gardens doesn't even hold 2,000 more people than the aud does for hockey, dunno if it's really worth the city/region spending a lot of money on something that has dubious economic benefits.

I'd rather see some sort of mixed-use development; grocery store, subsidized housing and market-rate housing would be awesome to see.
Agree. I don't prefer a sports facility here. This would be an excellent site for a signature "demonstration" project with community uses and mixed income housing in one tower.
(11-14-2019, 01:40 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I really like the notion of using the space to extend Victoria Park, and all the things Sam Nabi's been advocating.

I've posted this before, but here is my long term vision for that area...connecting the park is one aspect, but re-orienting the entire area around a pedestrian plaza could be amazing, reconfiguring the roads, could get us even more space.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?m...00004&z=17
(11-14-2019, 01:52 PM)urbd Wrote: Agree. I don't prefer a sports facility here. This would be an excellent site for a signature "demonstration" project with community uses and mixed income housing in one tower.
I understand the need for assisted living.  We already have a lot in that area.  Why not build more assisted living in the City of Waterloo ?   It always seems that Kitchener has to address all the social assistance between the cities...
(11-14-2019, 01:55 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 01:52 PM)urbd Wrote: Agree. I don't prefer a sports facility here. This would be an excellent site for a signature "demonstration" project with community uses and mixed income housing in one tower.
I understand the need for assisted living.  We already have a lot in that area.  Why not build more assisted living in the City of Waterloo ?   It always seems that Kitchener has to address all the social assistance between the cities...

I think the city of Kitchener owns the land and Kitchener Housing has experience building units and supporting them. I don't think the region or the city of waterloo have anything comparable but would be happy to see more units built in Waterloo.
(11-14-2019, 01:53 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-14-2019, 01:40 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: I really like the notion of using the space to extend Victoria Park, and all the things Sam Nabi's been advocating.

I've posted this before, but here is my long term vision for that area...connecting the park is one aspect, but re-orienting the entire area around a pedestrian plaza could be amazing, reconfiguring the roads, could get us even more space.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?m...00004&z=17

Oh, yes! I'd forgotten that it was you that suggested some of the ideas I really like as well. I'm sorry for that, and I'll do better at crediting in the future.

I'd love a sports venue, but I don't think it fits either. And not sure of the need right now.

A convention center/condo/hotel I think is my next best consideration.

I always thought a two tower condo with brownstones along the podium side of Joseph would be nice
(11-14-2019, 01:55 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:

Excellent point. The truth is that Waterloo doesn't want to spend any city money on social services to any degree. But I think that this should change, and perhaps it will once Waterloo becomes a progressive city. I'm trying to have a positive outlook here.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »