Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Westmount Place (50 Westmount N, 9-15 Dietz N, 192-218 Erb W) | 11-25 fl | U/C
As printed in the Waterloo Chronicle, Thursday, May 2, 2019:
According to Official Plan Amendment No 26 and Zoning By-Law Amendment Z-19-03:
Killam Apartment REIT
50 Westmount Rd N, 9-15 Dietz Ave N and 192-216 Erb St W (aka Westmount Plaza)
Meeting: Monday, May 27, 2019, Time TBD

"The purpose of the requested amendments it to permit a multi-phased, mixed use development to consist of: an 11-storey building with a 4-storey parking structure, a mixed use structure with two towers (11 storeys and 19 storeys), a second mixed use structure with two towers (23 storeys and 25 storeys), a 22 storey mixed use building, a 5 storey mixed use building, and the creation of an internal private street. The existing 5 storey office building (Sunlife) and commercial plaza is proposed to be maintained."

Will this give Barrelyards a run for it's money?

I found details of the development proposal for the Westmount Plaza on the City of Waterloo's webpage. Looks like a variety of towers ranging in height from 11-25 storeys:

"The purpose of the requested amendments is to permit a multi-phased, mixed-use development to consist of an 11 storey building with a four storey podium, a mixed-use podium with two towers (11 storeys and 19 storeys), a second mixed-use tower with two towers (23 storeys and 25 storeys), a 22 storey missed-use building, a five storey mixed-use building, and the creation of an internal private street. The existing five storey office building, Sunlife and commercial plaza, Westmount Plaza is proposed to be maintained."

That's a major development proposal, to be sure. Currently zoned for 12 floors, proposed is up to 25. I expect to see this approved, as it's far away from King St.

But is there demand for this much housing, this far from the core? I didn't think Westmount Grand sold all that quickly.
Wow! That's a massive development.
(05-06-2019, 12:31 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That's a major development proposal, to be sure. Currently zoned for 12 floors, proposed is up to 25. I expect to see this approved, as it's far away from King St.

But is there demand for this much housing, this far from the core? I didn't think Westmount Grand sold all that quickly.

It will be phased... might take a few years to be fully built (maybe 6+ years?). The city/region is growing fast, and people who already live here like to buy property and move too. So yes, I would say there is demand.
That's huge! But really nice. That fits in perfect there.

Large indeed. I'm curious as to the pedestrian realm. The picture paint a nice picture, with lots of people about, but reality often does not match renders, and frankly, I'm hoping they just aren't showing sidewalks on the diagram, because there are a bunch missing.

As an unrelated aside, does anyone know why modern buildings are largely square, while older apartment buildings are largely rectangular.
Shorter internal corridors? Everyone gets their door near the elevator...
(05-07-2019, 09:10 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Large indeed.  I'm curious as to the pedestrian realm.  The picture paint a nice picture, with lots of people about, but reality often does not match renders, and frankly, I'm hoping they just aren't showing sidewalks on the diagram, because there are a bunch missing.

As an unrelated aside, does anyone know why modern buildings are largely square, while older apartment buildings are largely rectangular.

Where?  I found the diagram not easy to decipher.
(05-07-2019, 01:52 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(05-07-2019, 09:10 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Large indeed.  I'm curious as to the pedestrian realm.  The picture paint a nice picture, with lots of people about, but reality often does not match renders, and frankly, I'm hoping they just aren't showing sidewalks on the diagram, because there are a bunch missing.

Where?  I found the diagram not easy to decipher.

You also found it difficult to read?

Specifically, there needs to be access behind the buildings to the existing mall.
(05-07-2019, 12:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Shorter internal corridors? Everyone gets their door near the elevator...

These were all true before...what changed in the 90s which encourages square buildings?

Even upscale condos have changed in this way...
Looks pretty good to me. That area won't have many NIMBY's so approval really ends up whether or not the city is ok with the proposal. Can't see that being an issue. Though it'll be a while before it's all finished, if it goes ahead as planned.

(05-07-2019, 04:52 PM)jeffster Wrote: Looks pretty good to me. That area won't have many NIMBY's so approval really ends up whether or not the city is ok with the proposal. Can't see that being an issue. Though it'll be a while before it's all finished, if it goes ahead as planned.

I think you underestimate the NIMBYs, I mean, the B, doesn't have to be literally their B...

If we're lucky, the people who already live in highrises won't have much to say, (and the owners of westcourt certainly won't care), but I can see Luther Village making a stink.

Still, I think you're right that it won't be nearly as problematic as other developments.

I do wish active transportation (and transit) were improved in the area however.  This is easily bikeable to Uptown and the University, but both are probably quite unpleasant and downright dangerous right now.
(05-07-2019, 06:04 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I do wish active transportation (and transit) were improved in the area however.  This is easily bikeable to Uptown and the University, but both are probably quite unpleasant and downright dangerous right now.

This site is currently served by the 5, 8, 12, 92 and 202. Only the 5 goes towards uptown and it runs every 30 minutes, but every other direction is fairly well served. Dawson is an okay route for biking to Uptown, as is Sunshine-Rec Centre-Laurel Trail. There's a path through Waterloo Park that meets Seagram just short of the main entrance to UW.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »