Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Node Kitchener (65-79 Madison Ave S) | 4 fl | Proposed

A new mid-rise development in Cedar Hill, 38 units on four-plus floors, replacing three existing (non-heritage!) houses on a total of about 0.3 hectares. Located at the top of the hill, and backing onto Cameron Heights (at the bottom of the hill), this will add to the apartment rental stock, and the upper units will have nice views of downtown and Cameron Heights. And about a 100m walk to the LRT station.

[Image: 170913_node%20madison_exterior-crop-u330465.jpg]

Front elevation:

Site plan:

Current conditions:

The variances were approved and a demolition permit has been issued, no building permit yet.

(05-15-2019, 01:23 PM)tomh009 Wrote: A new mid-rise development in Cedar Hill, 38 units on four-plus floors, replacing three existing (non-heritage!) houses on a total of about 0.3 hectares.

Not much heritage value in those homes -- and if I recall correctly, there was a murder at one of those houses 10 years ago or so. I'm sure the owner was all too happy to get rid of it!
Nice little project. I hope that they add 1 or 2 more floors to this project
For this location I'm not sure they need extra height now. The scale is pretty perfect for that location
Looks like more than half the site is taken up by a parking lot.
This is what happens with many mid-rise projects that use surface parking. And that's in spite of the fact that this project has slightly less parking than the zoning bylaw minimum.
New residential project near Charles and Madison, not sure if this project has been brought up previously.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/945...community/

Yes -- but the Record story has new information to be sure.
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...p?tid=1408
How do the rents cited in the article compare to market rates in DTK?  Without knowing, it doesn't seem to me that those numbers reflect the discount one would expect in a "co-housing" scenario, but I may be out of touch.
$1600 for 1BR is definitely not inexpensive. I think their idea is that the "co-housing" has nice facilities/amenities and increases the attractiveness of the apartments. The concept hasn't been tested here yet, though, so it's hard to know whether people will accept it.
(06-24-2019, 10:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: $1600 for 1BR is definitely not inexpensive. I think their idea is that the "co-housing" has nice facilities/amenities and increases the attractiveness of the apartments. The concept hasn't been tested here yet, though, so it's hard to know whether people will accept it.

Yes, but the trade off would be smaller apartments and, one would hope, lower rent.  Otherwise there's not much point, unless it's to create a social life.
(06-24-2019, 11:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 10:59 PM)tomh009 Wrote: $1600 for 1BR is definitely not inexpensive. I think their idea is that the "co-housing" has nice facilities/amenities and increases the attractiveness of the apartments. The concept hasn't been tested here yet, though, so it's hard to know whether people will accept it.

Yes, but the trade off would be smaller apartments and, one would hope, lower rent.  Otherwise there's not much point, unless it's to create a social life.

I don’t know how successful this will be (I’m clearly not part of the target demographic) but given that this is only one of about 20 residential projects in DTK (and thus not forcing anyone into this model) I’m happy to see this as one of the available housing options.
Is this the end of Madison near Charles? Close to LRT

(06-25-2019, 09:05 AM)Spokes Wrote: Is this the end of Madison near Charles?  Close to LRT

It's on Madison at the corner of Church St, at the top of the hill. Maybe a 100m walk to the Kitchener Market stop.
(06-25-2019, 07:06 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 11:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Yes, but the trade off would be smaller apartments and, one would hope, lower rent.  Otherwise there's not much point, unless it's to create a social life.

I don’t know how successful this will be (I’m clearly not part of the target demographic) but given that this is only one of about 20 residential projects in DTK (and thus not forcing anyone into this model) I’m happy to see this as one of the available housing options.

One assumes a project like this is aimed at millenial singles/couples.  A few tweaks, however, and it could also be a very attractive housing model for older boomers, who are now increasingly looking for housing options that offer some level of support without sacrificing independence (i.e. not yet ready for an assisted living facility).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »