Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Image Hosting
(10-26-2015, 11:03 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-26-2015, 09:35 AM)Markster Wrote: All I wanted is to be able to upload >500kb images somehow....

I don't think we're going to give unlimited space for image hosting, there needs to be some limit, but ya given camera resolution and image size, that is a little small.

If you want to upload huge files though, there are image hosting sites for that.

Exactly, and I understand that. I would not ask for hosting of 1.5MB images.

My not-so-secret wish is for a board plugin that allows one to upload >500kb images, and it then downscales them to a much smaller size (i.e 1024x768) before saving them on the board.
Urban Toronto had this feature.

(10-26-2015, 11:17 AM)Markster Wrote:
(10-26-2015, 11:03 AM)Spokes Wrote: I don't think we're going to give unlimited space for image hosting, there needs to be some limit, but ya given camera resolution and image size, that is a little small.

If you want to upload huge files though, there are image hosting sites for that.

Exactly, and I understand that.  I would not ask for hosting of 1.5MB images.

My not-so-secret wish is for a board plugin that allows one to upload >500kb images, and it then downscales them to a much smaller size (i.e 1024x768) before saving them on the board.
Urban Toronto had this feature.

Does resizing the resolution then resize the file as well though or just view it at a smaller resolution.
(10-26-2015, 11:24 AM)Spokes Wrote: Does resizing the resolution then resize the file as well though or just view it at a smaller resolution.

Proper resizing. Not just HTML tricks.
(10-25-2015, 10:09 PM)tomh009 Wrote: That sample wasn't resized by the server.  Smile  

I suggested a 1200 pixel maximum, but it was only a suggestion.  That said, 500 KB is still far smaller than the full-size images that get posted from time to time.

If automatic thumbnail generation is an option, it's great.  But if it's not, let's choose an option that works for most people.  There surely aren't a lot of people on WRC with 100 MB data plans today still.  But if we need to find out, a survey would be a good way to determine what size images are best.

I've got images now maxed out at 1000px which I think works well.

In mobile they show up quite small, they're scaled to the size of your devices screen
Oh god yes, the UrbanToronto one is fantastic. You can upload a full batch, too - instead of clicking the file/browse dialogue box on one photo, waiting for it to upload, having the screen refresh, having to scroll down, hit "insert into message", then repeat and hope you don't accidentally click the "replace" not the "upload new file".

Yes many other forums physically resize the image to whatever limit the board sets, reducing both file size and dimensions. It also auto-scales the image depending on the physical size of the browser window (which accommodates therefore people who still insist on running 640x480 and the Windows95 "cloud" background, and people with 27" iMacs with Retina Displays).
(10-26-2015, 12:13 PM)Canard Wrote: (which accommodates therefore people who still insist on running 640x480 and the Windows95 "cloud" background, and people with 27" iMacs with Retina Displays).

Designing for 640x480 these days is called "designing for mobile". Big Grin
(10-26-2015, 11:46 AM)Spokes Wrote: I've got images now maxed out at 1000px which I think works well.

In mobile they show up quite small, they're scaled to the size of your devices screen

Testing uploading a larger image:

Hmmm. It seems to upload, and it says I'm using 388 KB of my allotment, but no picture is displayed. Is it just me?
(10-26-2015, 12:40 PM)Markster Wrote:
(10-26-2015, 12:13 PM)Canard Wrote: (which accommodates therefore people who still insist on running 640x480 and the Windows95 "cloud" background, and people with 27" iMacs with Retina Displays).

Designing for 640x480 these days is called "designing for mobile".   Big Grin

Insults, catty comments and/or ludicrous inferences about people still using Win95 aside, there's nothing special about VGA resolution. It served only as a convenient example. 

The tool I used to generate the sample, Irfanview, offers this as one of several standard resolutions. If you'd rather use a more numeralogically-elegant resolution like 648x468 then go for it Wink
I don't see anything.  I didnt change the attachment settings at all, so not sure why that would be affected.

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like my attachment above worked.

After you selected the file to attach, are you sure you clicked "attach files"?
Trying again ... oh, now I see the error message.  It says maximum 500 KB.  I guess the resizing is not yet implemented?
(10-26-2015, 01:24 PM)ookpik Wrote: Insults, catty comments and/or ludicrous inferences about people still using Win95 aside, there's nothing special about VGA resolution. It served only as a convenient example. 

The tool I used to generate the sample, Irfanview, offers this as one of several standard resolutions. If you'd rather use a more numeralogically-elegant resolution like 648x468 then go for it Wink

So until this comment about Win95, I totally missed the subtle jab by Canard.  (I did think to myself, Wow... I didn't realize anyone actually used Netscape anymore).  So bravo to Canard for not only a sweet joke, but making me feel like an idiot at the same time.

Now back to my Alta Vista searches...

Coke

Lol, you could use a text browser too, like LYNX.

Whatever change has been made, now photos show up absolutely massive and destroy the ability to browse the forum on mobile... Before, it would scale the images to the width of the screen, now, the images are massive and all the text is small.
(10-26-2015, 05:17 PM)Canard Wrote: Lol, you could use a text browser too, like LYNX.

Whatever change has been made, now photos show up absolutely massive and destroy the ability to browse the forum on mobile... Before, it would scale the images to the width of the screen, now, the images are massive and all the text is small.

Spokes,
Specifically, what's happening, is that "attached images" are showing up massively wide in the mobile theme.  
If the images are embedded in the post, it's fine (they end up 50% of the column width).  If the images are not embedded in the post, then they show up in the "Attached images" section, and are rendered full size, which is already rather large for desktop, and positively massive for mobile.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »