Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viva Towns (19-41 Mill St) | 4 + 3fl | U/C

I was looking at the Heritage Committee agenda for the meeting on Nov 5th and there is a proposal for the area of 19-41 Mill St (near Queen). Proposal starts on page 18 of the pdf Committee Agenda . I'm personally not a fan of the design, sort of boring and block like for me. It'll be interesting to see if this gets the same initial rejection from the committee that the development where ROOF was got.

Design is not terrible, but not anything great, either. The heritage assessment appears to be primarily driven by the (potential) impact on 45 Mill St, which is a designated property. I think this should be manageable with the townhouses they propose, but they might need to make further adjustments.
For those who don't want to go through the document. Here are a couple of renders. There are more with different material options as well.
[attachment=6508]
[attachment=6509]
[attachment=6510]
[attachment=6511]
Sorry not sure why the photos rotated on me.
Even though it has been altered, I'm a bit surprised that 25 Mill is not a designated heritage building.  In any event, the staggered frontage on Mill St is interesting, but the Mill St and Queen St-facing facades of the tower portions are pretty gross, istm.  Strangely, in the renderings, the 8 storey section seems worse than the 10 storey section, although I wonder if it will even be visible from street level on Mill? 

Weren't 19 and 25 Queen St part of the Puopolo proposal from several years ago that was withdrawn or vetoed amid a heritage controversy, or is my memory faulty?
Not bad. The street level is better than the tower though
I don't think the tower is awful, just boring. And the townhouses are interesting.
Backs onto the IHT, and even has connecting paths. That's something.

(10-29-2019, 01:12 PM)KevinL Wrote: Backs onto the IHT, and even has connecting paths. That's something.

From the renderings, I thought the side facing the IHT actually looked better than the Mill and Queen-facing sides.
There's now a Record story about it. Nothing significant new in it, but sums up everything nicely. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/966...rse-trail/

Mods, time for this to have its own thread?
It looks really boring, but I'm not too surprised. Mediocrity defines a lot of the architecture in this region.
I don't think it is awful. Definitely not a show stopper, but a nice infill project.
(10-29-2019, 10:00 PM)taylortbb Wrote: Mods, time for this to have its own thread?

Will get a proper thread started shortly. Stay tuned ...
(10-29-2019, 10:00 PM)taylortbb Wrote: There's now a Record story about it. Nothing significant new in it, but sums up everything nicely. https://www.therecord.com/news-story/966...rse-trail/

Mods, time for this to have its own thread?

Ask and ye shall receive.

Issues regarding heritage houses.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/968...roup-says/

Not sure how I feel about this. On one hand they are old houses that have a bit of regional cultural significance. On  the other hand the houses a just split into a bunch of rental units. I think the region has an issue with heritage due to our poor record (cough... city hall... cough... Forsyth factory.... cough). We go crazy with any type of potential heritage aspect.
I think a revised proposal that preserves the house would be nice, the argument for its heritage isn't unreasonable. However, they say that any tall buildings near the iron horse trail are problematic because it's a heritage landscape, that I strongly disagree with. A future with more active transportation is going to involve more people living near the iron horse trail, and that's good.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »