Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Viva Towns (19-41 Mill St) | 4 + 3fl | U/C
NIMBYs gonna NIMBY. They almost never have logical arguments, they just scream and flail their arms in the air, bitching in council meetings, trying their hardest to stop any progress so they can continue to exist in their safe space. It doesn't matter how nonsensical their arguments are because they don't understand how nonsensical they sound. It's an incredibly annoying aspect of urban planning and architecture.

As someone who was "on the ground" so to speak for some of the neighbourhood cycling grid objections among the major concerns was that traffic was going to increase on those streets that were not going to be converted to one-way streets. Personally, one of the challenges of the final outcome for me is that when approaching my Victoria Park property on my normal route of travel from my typical departure point while driving, my final approach that was normally two right hand turns and one stop-light will now include three right-hand turns, a left hand turn and five stop-lights and crossing the LRT tracks twice. It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it will take some getting used to.

The Victoria Park Heritage District has been around for a long time. Many of the properties have changed hands since its inception. I would wonder if there would be similar aspersions cast at condominium owners who have been living in a tower for 25 years who are suddenly told that some aspect of their building was being changed and that they shouldn't complain but just deal with it?
(06-01-2021, 09:01 PM)nms Wrote: The Victoria Park Heritage District has been around for a long time.  Many of the properties have changed hands since its inception.  I would wonder if there would be similar aspersions cast at condominium owners who have been living in a tower for 25 years who are suddenly told that some aspect of their building was being changed and that they shouldn't complain but just deal with it?

Nobody's property is being changed, though. A housing development was proposed, outside the borders of the Victoria Park Heritage District, and several hundred metres away from the nearest single-family homes -- and across the street from several existing apartment buildings.

VPNA fought tooth and nail against this, and achieved a significant downsizing of the project -- and the elimination of all the included affordable housing units. Both were seen as victories by VPNA.
(06-01-2021, 09:01 PM)nms Wrote: As someone who was "on the ground" so to speak for some of the neighbourhood cycling grid objections among the major concerns was that traffic was going to increase on those streets that were not going to be converted to one-way streets. Personally, one of the challenges of the final outcome for me is that when approaching my Victoria Park property on my normal route of travel from my typical departure point while driving, my final approach that was normally two right hand turns and one stop-light will now include three right-hand turns, a left hand turn and five stop-lights and crossing the LRT tracks twice.  It's not a deal-breaker for me, but it will take some getting used to.

The Victoria Park Heritage District has been around for a long time.  Many of the properties have changed hands since its inception.  I would wonder if there would be similar aspersions cast at condominium owners who have been living in a tower for 25 years who are suddenly told that some aspect of their building was being changed and that they shouldn't complain but just deal with it?

Thank you for making this comment.

Given that I live in a condo building that is 33 years old, and has some owners who have owned for 25 years, and will be surrounded on all 3 sides by cycle lanes. Not a single person from my building spoke out in opposition, and a number submitted supportive responses and I spoke in support.

In terms of whether people would object to parts of our building changing, yes, some people have explicitly complained about changes to our building approved by our board, and yes, the same aspersions were cast about them.

And yes, the neighbourhood complained about traffic...and in response to complaints about traffic they demanded that the traffic diversions be removed.  If they were concerned about traffic, they would have supported the traffic diversions, and asked for more, not fewer.

And finally, these folks who are objecting to Mill St. were not objecting to changes to their neighbourhood...they live nowhere near the tower being planned. It's obscene.
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but saw it on Condo Culture: Viva Towns at Queen St S and Mill St.

https://www.condoculture.ca/buildings/viva-towns
(11-22-2021, 12:55 AM)CP42 Wrote: Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but saw it on Condo Culture: Viva Towns at Queen St S and Mill St.

https://www.condoculture.ca/buildings/viva-towns

I believe that is the 19-41 Mill street development. The one where nimby's successfully removed 50+ units from becoming available and made the whole development that much more unaffordable. I expect something similar to this https://www.google.ca/maps/@43.439076,-8...!1e3?hl=en.
I noticed today that the six houses slated for demolition have been fenced off.

This morning at 11:25.    
2022-02-14     
They have started grading the property, but I don't see a construction permit yet having been issued.

[Image: xCvcZDK.jpg]
Things are finally happening here, with pilings in progress, so construction may yet get fully under way this fall yet.
Most of the outside concrete walls have been poured now, so I think we'll start seeing more activity soon. I doesn't look like they are building the towns in phases.

Work is continuing, and, in the meantime, the developer says they are 50% sold. (Small!) units start at under $400K which is good to see.

[Image: 34d324ea-d392-5983-fd41-fa59e79b63e5.jpg]

Sorry about the huge image ...
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »