Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
The Junction | 37 & 33 fl | Proposed
(01-11-2020, 09:51 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 09:34 AM)Vijmorlan Wrote: I would prefer to see a continuous street wall along King with a portico.
Whereas I quite like the idea of “thickening” King St near the tram stations, as the concept sketch seems to suggest.

I don’t care how far back from the centre of the street the “wall” is, or how many gaps there are in the wall to allow access to spaces in behind. I just don’t understand why all this construction can’t help pedestrians shelter from the rain. The building itself will cover the entire site underground so it’s not about the expense and amount of construction required.

(01-11-2020, 11:40 AM)ac3r Wrote: About time someone did something with this lot. It has been empty for so long.

Does anyone know why Charles Street East has that bend in it? I've always assumed that whoever owns the lot never wanted to sell, so the street had to go around, but maybe not.

Charles St was extended to follow the old electric rail line that used to be there sometime after 1955ish.
I quite like this. I'm being petty, but I wish they could have bought that 3 story walk-up on the corner of Stirling/Charles and added that lot to their overall project. That would have transformed the entire area.
Was there's lumber yard there back in the day? I have a vague recollection of that as a small child
(01-12-2020, 09:03 AM)Spokes Wrote: Was there's lumber yard there back in the day?  I have a vague recollection of that as a small child

Yes.  It was called Copp’s Buildall.
There was also a Canadian Tire just down the block (where KW Counselling and Tim Hortons are now). It was on two storeys; the upper could be entered from King, the lower from Charles.
Wendel Motors was in between.

(01-11-2020, 10:11 PM)CTGal1011 Wrote: I quite like this.  I'm being petty, but I wish they could have bought that 3 story walk-up on the corner of Stirling/Charles and added that lot to their overall project. That would have transformed the entire area.

I agree, sucks that they didn't or couldn't.
(01-12-2020, 12:25 PM)creative Wrote: Wendel Motors was in between.

Wow...I don't recall that. I remember the Canadian Tire and Copps Build All, but not the Wendel. How long ago was that?
Wendel motors was further down King where the new twin towers are being built
Then it was Steven's Mercury
It was Wendel motors at the end of Dane St. across from what is now Sportco. KW Counseling now occupies the location. I believe that they moved to Fairway road in the early 80s. I grew up on Dane Street.
Yes correct that was Wendels Steven's was where the twin towers are being built Wow I forgot about Wendels there

(01-11-2020, 01:07 PM)Bytor Wrote:
(01-11-2020, 11:40 AM)ac3r Wrote: About time someone did something with this lot. It has been empty for so long.

Does anyone know why Charles Street East has that bend in it? I've always assumed that whoever owns the lot never wanted to sell, so the street had to go around, but maybe not.

Charles St was extended to follow the old electric rail line that used to be there sometime after 1955ish.
This explains why the south east corner house on Stirling has a driveway immediately next to the intersection even before the crosswalk.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/STrwFJ3rXMkKytj1A
(01-10-2020, 12:53 AM)Bjays93 Wrote: I'd personally like to see a little more height variation. Maybe swap out one of the 3 long apartments for two mid rises?

Having a pair of 10-15 story towers in this area would fit nicely I think

At least 15 story would have been better -- but they've been in business long enough to realize that sometimes pissing of neighbours within a 30KM (I know, I exaggerate) distance despite whatever zoning there is, isn't worth the hassle in the long run. As I said previously, 5 floor buildings do not stand out and it's super unlikely that you'll get a single complaint.

Still, when I looked at the vacant property so close to the Ion, I had thought something along the lines of what Drewlo is doing in front of CHCI, in terms of size anyway.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »