Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
The Region of Waterloo web site still says “to be determined” on the timing of the King Street subway (and other work on King Street)- do you know when it is likely to be undertaken? I am impressed by how much is happening now- Weber was a huge project, and to follow it up with King Street so soon would be an incredible idea in many places, I think.

I have high hopes for the station; it’s going to be incredibly important for the Region.

I read something recently that said it would start in March 2015.
I can't recall what that was...

I do enjoy the term "The King St Subway". It's so accurate, and yet so misrepresentative!
I would have really liked to see a popular retail store like "The Beer Store" become the street base of a large mixed use building or the multi modal transit hub, but regardless the new store is an upgrade over the previous/current store.
How do you guys feel this and the LRT in general will impact the value of the Kaufman Lofts in particular?
Increase. I was one of the first owners in Phase 1 and sold not too long ago, made quite a bit on that. I will miss living there though as my unit looked directly at the future transit hub. Won't miss the parties and noise from Benton Box though. That place needs to be torn down.
(11-02-2014, 08:39 PM)Canard Wrote: Increase.  I was one of the first owners in Phase 1 and sold not too long ago, made quite a bit on that.  I will miss living there though as my unit looked directly at the future transit hub.  Won't miss the parties and noise from Benton Box though.  That place needs to be torn down.

I assume you mean Boehmer Box? I disagree - I think it needs to be fixed up and used for office space.
(11-02-2014, 08:39 PM)Canard Wrote: Increase.  I was one of the first owners in Phase 1 and sold not too long ago, made quite a bit on that.  I will miss living there though as my unit looked directly at the future transit hub.  Won't miss the parties and noise from Benton Box though.  That place needs to be torn down.

Thanks for the reply, yeah I just bought a unit to live in as my first place and was just wondering how this will impact it.

(11-02-2014, 09:58 PM)mpd618 Wrote:

I assume you mean Boehmer Box? I disagree - I think it needs to be fixed up and used for office space.

Agreed.  It's been established that buildings like that have a ton of re-development potential.
I don't know what property values are going to do, but I'd be inclined to agree that they'll probably increase. With One Victoria, the Breithaupt Block, and the proposal for the plaza on King at Breithaupt, there's going to be a lot of activity around the station before construction even begins.
Thumbs Up 
I like both concepts, but I think there should be a hotel in the 6 story building instead.      
Seems like the demolition permit for The Beer Store has been issued. Also from a 100 Victoria mail out the sales center is on the move to make way.

"We are moving our King & Victoria Sales Centre in Kitchener to make way for the future Transit Hub."

Anyone know if the ambulance station has moved out yet?
(11-19-2014, 05:25 PM)JCnb Wrote: Seems like the demolition permit for The Beer Store has been issued. Also from a 100 Victoria mail out the sales center is on the move to make way.

"We are moving our King & Victoria Sales Centre in Kitchener to make way for the future Transit Hub."

Anyone know if the ambulance station has moved out yet?

Ambulance moved out a couple months back - they are now located at Victoria and Weber (more correctly Weber and Water).
I received that e-mail from Momentum, too. That would be pretty exciting, if demolition were to start soon.

My guess is that it's in preparation for the King Street grade separation which is supposed to start construction next year.
(11-20-2014, 11:36 AM)timio Wrote: My guess is that it's in preparation for the King Street grade separation which is supposed to start construction next year.

Correct, the hub site will be the construction base for the grade separation before any work begins on the actual station.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »