Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
King-Victoria Transit Hub
That’s the first I’ve heard of concrete (ha!) dates, thanks!

If they’re going to break ground in 2018, surely we are just months away from seeing the final design?

Those time lines are just for the transit components.
Depending on how the consortium putting together the site plan views things the overall project and the transit components could be built separately. Or built in a way that the bare bones transit infrastructure is laid and then the overall project built around the transit elements at a later date.
I have no idea what the market is for hotels in KW right now, but this would be a excellent location.
(11-17-2017, 12:05 AM)taylortbb Wrote: I'm sure Perimeter is working on it, and based on their previous work (Google KW, 305 King, 345 King, Simpson building, etc) I trust that it will be good. I think the contract specifies timelines for transit components that include completion around 2021, so they'll probably have to break ground in 2018 (maybe early 2019) to hit that. So that's a year, but not years.

The big question is how much office or residential they think the market can take, and they'll have to answer that for themselves before we see any renders. Perimeter seems to be the most successful company at downtown office leasing right now, so that's a good start. The market seems to be better for residential right now though (look how fast Momentum can sell), but it's not clear how much of the site could be residential given requirements for minimum separation from rail corridors. Perimeter also doesn't have any residential experience AFAIK.

This doesn't seem like the correct assumption. The region, in their consultations, will decide how much Floor Spare Ratio they have to work with (some very low proposals were on the table, and lower ones brought up by residents). You only need look across the street at SIXO's proposal to know that they can pretty much do however much density they like and still move it. It's instead a question of how many jobs and people the region and Kitchener thinks are fitting for the most connected and central plot of land in our region (hint: it should be at least as much as any other site in the region, be it student complexes in Northdale, or SIXO, or Charlie West's height)
As a reminder, the last update that had dates stated:
"The transit related components of the project are targeted to be complete by the end of 2021 with full build-out of the private mixed-use development expected by the end of 2027, subject to market demand."
[/url]
[url=https://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Council/Detail/2017-10-03-1300-Planning-and-Works-Committee/P&W%20Agenda%20-%20October%203_%202017.PDF]The RFQ result was in this report
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
I do expect that the 2027 assumes a phased development. The first private buildings shouldn't lag the transit components by that much, maybe a year or two at the most.
(11-17-2017, 08:09 AM)jamincan Wrote: I have no idea what the market is for hotels in KW right now, but this would be a excellent location.

I would love a hotel with conference facilities capable of supporting upwards of 1000 people. I am pretty sure it would be terribly unsuccessful but I feel it's something the city is seriously lacking. Bingeman's and Lot42 are so terribly inconvenient.

(11-17-2017, 03:27 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(11-17-2017, 08:09 AM)jamincan Wrote: I have no idea what the market is for hotels in KW right now, but this would be a excellent location.

I would love a hotel with conference facilities capable of supporting upwards of 1000 people. I am pretty sure it would be terribly unsuccessful but I feel it's something the city is seriously lacking. Bingeman's and Lot42 are so terribly inconvenient.

I agree a hotel conference centre would be an amazing addition.  Especially given all the companies locating dtk.  you need a place to hold conferences....  Very convenient to have one stop shopping
Crowne Plaza has a room that can accommodate over 600, and probably rooms enough to accommodate a total of 2000. I wonder how well its conference facilities do.

It does seem like it would be a great place for a hotel.
(11-17-2017, 09:08 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: [quote pid='44961' dateline='1510891522']
This doesn't seem like the correct assumption. The region, in their consultations, will decide how much Floor Spare Ratio they have to work with (some very low proposals were on the table, and lower ones brought up by residents). You only need look across the street at SIXO's proposal to know that they can pretty much do however much density they like and still move it. It's instead a question of how many jobs and people the region and Kitchener thinks are fitting for the most connected and central plot of land in our region (hint: it should be at least as much as any other site in the region, be it student complexes in Northdale, or SIXO, or Charlie West's height)

[/quote]

Well, we have no idea how much they can move. We only know how much they have proposed in their marketing materials.

This is definitely the place for density. Hopefully the Region approves a lot of it, and let the developer built it out over however long is needed for the market to absorb it.
I'd rather see a hotel or offices here than residential. Residential next to a station I can see; on the station seems a little odd to me.
I recall way back in the mists of the first LRT proposal, when the hub would have been on the other side of King (this was before the University purchased the Pharmacy school land), a conference centre was in the plans for the site. Later revisions did not make that an explicit component.
(11-17-2017, 04:16 PM)KevinL Wrote: I recall way back in the mists of the first LRT proposal, when the hub would have been on the other side of King (this was before the University purchased the Pharmacy school land), a conference centre was in the plans for the site. Later revisions did not make that an explicit component.

Was that before or after the Olympic size swimming pool proposal?

I don't recall that one, sorry!
(11-17-2017, 03:52 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I'd rather see a hotel or offices here than residential. Residential next to a station I can see; on the station seems a little odd to me.

The site is pretty big.... residential would likely be only on one portion of it, not right on top of the station. One concept had hotel, condos, office, convention centre, and retail! so cool
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »