Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Ways to Fix the Market District
The Drewlo development should be transformative, no?

I definitely respect it too, I didn't expect it.

Like I said, probably poor word choice, but my thinking is, if something needs fixing, doesn't that mean it's broken? It certainly needs improved upon. And I only make these suggestions and talk about it because I believe in the Market District. It could be such a cool part of downtown and it just feels like its not. It feels like if it got the same attention as King/Victoria it would be a VERY attractive part of DTK

You're right though with regards to developments. I think there just needs to be some forward momentum to get the ball rolling (think UW School of Pharmacy or the Tannery helping King/Vic)
(09-15-2018, 12:36 PM)panamaniac Wrote: The Drewlo development should be transformative, no?

I would hope it helps.  But I'm not sure a twin tower development will overhaul the area completely.  But it'll help
It will also help if/when the Market again starts opening on Wednesdays. I don't know when we'll get there, however ...
I went to Cameron Heights in 1990s when Tom Katz (the strip joint) was still open... the area is a lot better since the market has been built but I agree it’s a terrible building. It’s not really a lot easier to get around than the old market was. Who puts the main stairs in the middle of a column line? All those empty units out front don’t really help the ambiance either. For all my whining I don’t really have any good ideas about what to change.
(09-15-2018, 11:50 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 10:04 AM)darts Wrote: I've said it before as well. Developers are developing the other way making 'downtown' bigger but at the expense of making the otherside a whole lot less desirable.

There was a lot of city intervention (aka money) to get the King/Victoria area going, I wonder if they hoped the Market would do the same?

that intersection always had more users around it, it didn't really need any help
(09-15-2018, 12:44 PM)panamaniac Wrote: It will also help if/when the Market again starts opening on Wednesdays.  I don't know when we'll get there, however ...

See and I'm not sold on that.

Sure it'll help. But how much?  Something that's only open a couple days a week can only help so much

I actually think the market itself will play a small role in the success of the market district

(09-15-2018, 05:14 PM)darts Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 11:50 AM)Spokes Wrote: There was a lot of city intervention (aka money) to get the King/Victoria area going, I wonder if they hoped the Market would do the same?

that intersection always had more users around it, it didn't really need any help

I disagree.  When the city stepped in the entire downtown needed help
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »