Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Breithaupt Block | 16 m | 4 fl | Complete
(02-15-2016, 01:53 PM)Spokes Wrote: I wonder if they've given any thought to that parking lot they own next door.

I suspect that thought is "That is where employees will park."

I think it will be a good long while before it makes rational sense to redevelop that parking lot. But who knows, maybe Google will one day need to significantly expand its work force while staying in their current location and having the new employees close by.
Shiny.

Beautiful shot; it's fantastic to have such an architectural gem here!
Here is the current view from the Pharmacy side (damn the portapotties everywhere spoiling sight lines!).

Attached Files Image(s)

WRC needs to recruit someone *in* the Pharmacy building.

Also,

So crazy to look at, and remember, what this thing used to look like.

(04-26-2016, 04:48 PM)Spokes Wrote: So crazy to look at, and remember, what this thing used to look like.

Note the overhead wires for the electric trollies
(04-26-2016, 04:52 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 04:48 PM)Spokes Wrote: So crazy to look at, and remember, what this thing used to look like.

Note the overhead wires for the electric trollies

I think they were trolley-buses by that time.

[Image: Kl6U2pO.jpg]
(04-26-2016, 01:52 PM)kps Wrote: WRC needs to recruit someone *in* the Pharmacy building.

Also,

What's the source of that photo?
(04-26-2016, 08:51 PM)panamaniac Wrote: What's the source of that photo?

Proximately, historypin.org presenting photos held by the UW Library. I had had trouble getting a direct link, but now I see it can be found under the ⊕ icon and will link the photo accordingly.
(02-15-2016, 02:22 PM)MidTowner Wrote: I think it will be a good long while before it makes rational sense to redevelop that parking lot. But who knows, maybe Google will one day need to significantly expand its work force while staying in their current location and having the new employees close by.

Rumour is, Google is planning another building for that parking lot now. Guess they need more space already... should be interesting to see.
Really! Very interesting. Did the rumour you heard include anything like the type of square footage they'll need, or how many storeys?

Approximately no chance it gets above 2-3 storeys, I would think, given how many neighbours only begrudgingly accepted the breithaupt block addition because it preserved the original building. There's no motivation for neighbours to accept anything, and Kitchener's council has not shown any willingness to ask anything of residents. Maybe I'm a tiny bit pessimistic, but this is what we've seen so far.
(05-03-2017, 01:18 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Approximately no chance it gets above 2-3 storeys, I would think, given how many neighbours only begrudgingly accepted the breithaupt block addition because it preserved the original building. There's no motivation for neighbours to accept anything, and Kitchener's council has not shown any willingness to ask anything of residents. Maybe I'm a tiny bit pessimistic, but this is what we've seen so far.

The zoning permits three storeys (9m max height) but they'll need to ask for a variance anyway as M-1 allows only a 0.2 FSR for office space, it's really designed for industrial use.  But three storeys would fit in well with the existing buildings anyway.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »