Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
CTV had a segment on the video, and I'll say, their reporting on it was pretty good, certainly better than I expected from CTV.

They interviewed an advocate, and highlighted legitimate and easy to understand reasons why riding to the right can be dangerous, besides saying that the video was "mocked" (which might have been a little bit, but mostly it was a serious discussion), they did well.

They also note that WRPS will be making a statement tonight with them on the video, so it's anyone's guess what they'll say. I will note, nobody has heard anything from WRPS publicly on this issue since the video went live a week ago.

(06-11-2018, 03:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Please don't suggest that it's illegal to ride on the sharrows, as intended by the city.

Frig off! I didn't "suggest" it was. I said I don't know how the legality of them works with that section of the HTA which basically says to do the opposite of what the sharrows do.

Do you even read things or do you just see a keyword and start the sanctimonious ranting?
(06-11-2018, 05:23 PM)clasher Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 03:29 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Please don't suggest that it's illegal to ride on the sharrows, as intended by the city.

Frig off! I didn't "suggest" it was. I said I don't know how the legality of them works with that section of the HTA which basically says to do the opposite of what the sharrows do.

Do you even read things or do you just see a keyword and start the sanctimonious ranting?

I'm sorry that my post is perhaps incendiary--I am a little touchy on this issue. But I was absolutely not ranting.

And frankly, I would argue you did suggest it, that's my opinion, I'm glad you clarified that was not your intent.

I disagree with your reading of the HTA , practicable does not mean "always", and sharrows are an indication that the correct place to ride is in the middle, because the right is not "practicable".

As I explained in the first post, my belief is based on the fact that the MTO's own cycling skills guidelines say that.  But I'm not a lawyer, so I wouldn't trust it as a legal opinion.
570 is reporting on it too.
And WRPS has responded.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1415355

I could not be more disappointed.

Not only do they double down on their false statements, and frankly, demonstrate they don't understand the rules of the road.

And so much worse, they claim they've not received any phone calls or emails, which is clearly false, as multiple people I know have contacted them, and they obviously know they've received a huge backlash on twitter.

The only way I see this getting fixed is if council steps in.

Frankly, this makes me question whether it is safe to bike on our roads right now.
Unreal.

But, I'm not surprised. On my bike ride to work today, I watched a van floor it past me and blow a red light at Borden/Charles... the driver went right through, entering the intersection on a solid red. Copper 90 degrees waiting in the opposite direction did absolutely nothing.
(06-11-2018, 05:48 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 05:23 PM)clasher Wrote: Frig off! I didn't "suggest" it was. I said I don't know how the legality of them works with that section of the HTA which basically says to do the opposite of what the sharrows do.

I'm sorry that my post is perhaps incendiary--I am a little touchy on this issue. But I was absolutely not ranting.

And frankly, I would argue you did suggest it, that's my opinion, I'm glad you clarified that was not your intent.

I disagree with your reading of the HTA , practicable does not mean "always", and sharrows are an indication that the correct place to ride is in the middle, because the right is not "practicable".

As I explained in the first post, my belief is based on the fact that the MTO's own cycling skills guidelines say that.  But I'm not a lawyer, so I wouldn't trust it as a legal opinion.

LOL, now you're gonna argue with me about what I was saying. You're ridiculous.

I don't think cycling in the city is any more dangerous today than it was yesterday. You're so given over to hyperbole it's hard to take anything you say seriously.

Alright you two, calm down.

I'd say dan read a lot into clasher's post that wasn't there, and clasher responded with clearly inappropriate language, and things unfortunately have escalated from there.
(06-11-2018, 07:14 AM)jamincan Wrote: What did the WRPS share?

All I can recall regarding the WRPS is that you weren't 'allowed' to pass any bikes in any sharrow lane. I know this because I passed a bike and got pulled over by WRPS.

Then watching the news today I found out I did nothing wrong. Problem is no one is on the same page.
(06-11-2018, 07:18 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: And WRPS has responded.

Not only do they double down on their false statements, and frankly, demonstrate they don't understand the rules of the road.

I'm pretty sure the WRPS knows more about 'rules of the road' in their 'official' statements than anyone here.

Of course, watching the video was discouraging, if you're a safe bike operators, but also as a driver, as you see plenty of bicyclists clearly not following the rules of the road (in particular, the biker that was passing the bus to his left, while the bus was attempting to make a right).

Question: Are their any signs along King St that says that passing a bike is prohibited?

Under the HTA, yellow signs are advisory, not enforceable.
(06-11-2018, 08:51 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 07:14 AM)jamincan Wrote: What did the WRPS share?

All I can recall regarding the WRPS is that you weren't 'allowed' to pass any bikes in any sharrow lane. I know this because I passed a bike and got pulled over by WRPS.

Then watching the news today I found out I did nothing wrong.  Problem is no one is on the same page.

As long as you maintain the minimum distance from the cyclist, I'm not sure how passing could be an infraction.

(06-11-2018, 11:21 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(06-11-2018, 08:51 PM)jeffster Wrote: All I can recall regarding the WRPS is that you weren't 'allowed' to pass any bikes in any sharrow lane. I know this because I passed a bike and got pulled over by WRPS.

Then watching the news today I found out I did nothing wrong.  Problem is no one is on the same page.

As long as you maintain the minimum distance from the cyclist, I'm not sure how passing could be an infraction.

You know, upon thinking about it a bit longer, trying to recall the situation; it happened about a week into them having the markings. Perhaps a bigger issue was that I passed a police officer on his bike. That said, he explained at that time, that when a bicyclist is on the road, you have to follow single file.

I think what's missing is "Do not pass" signs.

I learned from before that officers don't like to be passed, period. I did this on highway 8 going toward the 401, I wasn't speeding, but the officer wasn't impressed I would pass him (it was WRPS on an OPP enforced road)...either way, I asked what he could charge me with, and he was like, "You should never pass an officer..." It's not a law under the HTA, and he couldn't write me up on anything.
(06-11-2018, 10:42 PM)KevinL Wrote: Under the HTA, yellow signs are advisory, not enforceable.

That might be so: What is missing is "Do not pass signs"....I was driving up and down King St this morning looking for them, and there aren't any. Those would be white & red road signs.

Like this:

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »