Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Cycling in Waterloo Region
Just to be clear, the incident didn't happen to me, I' l'm relating the comments from the Reddit post. I sent the OP a link to your extremely helpful reply and invited them to follow up with you if necessary.

(08-04-2018, 09:13 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Just to be clear, the incident didn't happen to me, I' l'm relating the comments from the Reddit post. I sent the OP a link to your extremely helpful reply and invited them to follow up with you if necessary.

ok,  sounds good...
Seriously. A license plate and a very clear photo of the person with a weapon in his hand. That doesn't sound hard to track down the person at all.
Replaced the cassette on one of my bikes this weekend; went from an 11-32 setup to 11-36 for a bit of a wider ratio. It's awesome!

Super-easy job with the right tools (thanks, Park Tool!).
I was passing by Old Mill Rd. today and noticed the bridge is completely open and it looks all done there... probably been open a while but I haven't been down that way in a while. Nice to see.
Thanks for the update. I haven’t biked to work in a couple of weeks but was hoping to this week, and my last experience there with the sudden complete closure of the bridge left me somewhat unexcited to go back.
Horray! The #bikeWR counter in UpTown Waterloo is activated!

I was number 206 and 207 today. Had to make sure it really worked. Big Grin

Cool!

Anyone have any updates on the segregated bike lane pilot?

Also, does anyone know why Waterloo went with the gates instead of a bollard at Seagram? I thought they had moved away from that style after that death a few years ago and lots of advocacy work.

This is becoming an all to frequent occurrence, but don't worry the 4-way flashers are on so that makes it okay:

Finally, trees (15-20?) were planted along IHT from Gage north to the tracks today and topsoil added all along all the edges of the new pavement from the tracks down south past West. The middle section of the West to Queen portion of the IHT seemed to have been paved recently (previously only the section from West Ave south to the wooden bridge over the creek, and from Victoria park south to Queen were paved).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-14-2018, 08:54 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: This is becoming an all to frequent occurrence, but don't worry the 4-way flashers are on so that makes it okay:

It seems like a design problem - if you're driving up, it's legitimately hard to tell that it's a non-car space. What would be a good way to fix it?
(08-15-2018, 12:47 AM)mpd618 Wrote:
(08-14-2018, 08:54 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: This is becoming an all to frequent occurrence, but don't worry the 4-way flashers are on so that makes it okay:

It seems like a design problem - if you're driving up, it's legitimately hard to tell that it's a non-car space. What would be a good way to fix it?

So there are accessibility plates along with a concrete apron at the entrance.  Four way flashers would suggest that the driver knew they weren't supposed to be there.
(08-15-2018, 07:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: So there are accessibility plates along with a concrete apron at the entrance.  Four way flashers would suggest that the driver knew they weren't supposed to be there.

I've been there and I still think it's not clear. 4-way flashers are something you would use if parked on the side of a proper car driveway as well (i.e. because it's not a parking spot). You could be right about that specific car, but I suspect there's going to be a lot of offenders who are oblivious.
What exactly is the actual design on that new section of Columbia? It seems like there is a bike lane with a roll curb (in some sections), but also an MUT?
(08-15-2018, 12:59 PM)mpd618 Wrote:
(08-15-2018, 07:04 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: So there are accessibility plates along with a concrete apron at the entrance.  Four way flashers would suggest that the driver knew they weren't supposed to be there.

I've been there and I still think it's not clear. 4-way flashers are something you would use if parked on the side of a proper car driveway as well (i.e. because it's not a parking spot). You could be right about that specific car, but I suspect there's going to be a lot of offenders who are oblivious.

There is the fact that the trail is elevated above the driveway and separated by a curb.

They could have improved the design by pushing the curb out to make a sharper turn and get rid of that high-speed exit ramp that was built:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(08-15-2018, 12:59 PM)mpd618 Wrote:

I'm not saying it's right, but the reason why they're parked there is because they have always parked there, it's the delivery drivers for the restaurant. That's where they have always parked, and now the pavement under them has become a trail.

You will be hard pressed to change their behavior as in their minds they are doing nothing wrong.
Cabbies having a good time blocking the uptown bike lanes tonight (credit to Esemes16 on Reddit).

[Image: FMtEZ34.jpg]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »