Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
(10-15-2014, 02:24 PM)ookpik Wrote:
(10-15-2014, 01:44 PM)plam Wrote: I don't know if AA actually does this for YYZ/YKF, but in the event of misconnects, airlines are often willing to reroute you to, say, YYZ instead of YKF. This is especially true if you don't have checked luggage.
Yes, I realize that this may be an option in some cases.

It may not be a problem with shorter trips, say up to a week or so. However with restrictions on what you can put in carry-on, I now usually travel with checked luggage when on vacation. I don't need the hassle of some TSA apparatchik measuring the exact length of the 2" blade on my wife's nail file or confiscating the small screwdriver in my computer bag or possibly confiscating a pair of expensive collapsible hiking poles, etc. (Yes it's happened. And it was at ORD as it happens.)

Another potential problem with rerouting to YYZ is getting back home or to YKF to pick up your car. Yes you can use something like Air Transit but that adds another hour and half to the length plus $150 to the cost of the trip -- on top of the premium you paid for the convenience of flying out of YKF in the first place.

So yes, if there is demand for convenient travel between here and Silicon Valley then it seems to me direct flights are the way to go.

I'd be willing to live with the potential hassle. It's a recovery option and such options are usually not great anyway. I haven't taken Airways Transit in years. Usually I take GO Transit although I got a ride in this morning.

(I have traveled for 3 weeks with everything except for my climbing gear in a carry-on. Frequent clothes washing.)

ORD is probably a better bet for connecting to Asia than SFO. SFO is sort of large but not nearly as large as ORD, I think. LAX is a bigger hub also.

Nonstops are, of course, more convenient, but they do otherwise restrict flexibility, as we've pointed out.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RE: Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF - by plam - 10-15-2014, 05:57 PM