Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
I'd say the Vegas flight would need to be bi-weekly, Florida could be weekly to start. I'd hope for more frequent flights (daily?) for the other flights. Maybe to start they will do a milk run (Vancouver -> Calgary -> Kitchener, then off to Halifax and return, then off to Winnipeg and return.) One plane can do multiple destinations in one day, so fingers crossed....

Coke

(09-11-2017, 02:09 PM)jgsz Wrote: Does anyone know if this news will speed up the proposed Breslau GO station?

No, it will not.
(09-07-2017, 11:22 AM)Chris Wrote: The last line of the CTV article states.

Quote:WestJet also said that there has been no change to the Calgary – Waterloo schedule.

Not true. I was looking to book some flights to the west coast and as of Monday, October 30 the daily flight to YYC moves from 7:35 p.m. to 6:15 a.m.

The flight from Calgary to Kitchener moves to a red eye at 11:55 p.m. and lands at YKF at 5:26 a.m.

So my question is - is this new schedule a hail mary attempt to save the route or is it based on sound market research?

I just booked flights in April and May 2018 to Calgary.  The flight to Calgary in mid-April is at 6:15am, but the return flight in late April is 1:10pm from Calgary.  

Oddly, the evening departure returns (replacing the morning flight) on Sunday, April 29.  Similarly, the 1:10pm flight from Calgary replaces the 11:55pm departure on the same day.  The route is still one plane coming and then going out.

I wonder if they are ready for the early morning plane traffic noise complaints?
(09-11-2017, 02:09 PM)jgsz Wrote: Does anyone know if this news will speed up the proposed Breslau GO station?

There's a lot of things that have to happen before this is built - and they're all years away from being done.  This won't have any effect.
I don't think this will have the noise issue that the other flight had. In the complainers defense, that plane really was quite loud.
It was pretty loud even from the Williamsburg area. It didn't bother me much but my wife is a light sleeper and it woke her up from time to time.
Remember, that Nolinor flight had two B-14 fighter jet engines (due to the short gravel runway in Nunavut), and is not typical of aircraft noise.  (Unless you are near a military base).

WestJet shouldn't wake you up in Williamsburg, if anything it's just a little louder than the smaller planes to make you look up and try to find it [At least that's what I do Smile ]

Coke

I hadn't heard of this plan.

Airlines guaranteed exclusive routes, as long as they depart from YKF
Offer open to all airlines: fledgling or established

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitch...-1.4292654
(09-16-2017, 03:22 AM)Elmira Guy Wrote: I hadn't heard of this plan.

Airlines guaranteed exclusive routes, as long as they depart from YKF
Offer open to all airlines: fledgling or established

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/kitch...-1.4292654

I think that's an excellent idea.  And, so far as I can tell, it won't cost the Region any money.
Seems silly to have more than one operator on a route to such a small airport anyway. We're not Pearson level just yet, so this is the best way to go.
It's to prevent Air Canada from undercutting and duplicating successful routes to kill off the competition and then they kill the route, sending people back to Toronto.
/\ So much the better.
(09-16-2017, 11:58 AM)DHLawrence Wrote: Seems silly to have more than one operator on a route to such a small airport anyway. We're not Pearson level just yet, so this is the best way to go.

Also it’s a strategy for going from zero to one airlines flying a route, and the exclusivity is only for two years. I think it’s a good plan. And I say that as someone who doesn’t generally agree with rules and agreements of this kind. The hypothetical airlines in question don’t really get any sort of lock on their customers — they are still competing with service out of Pearson and other airports. Who knows, maybe this will jump-start the airport into a sustainable higher-traffic state.

It gives some guarantees but from previous airlines flying out of waterloo have they flew routes that other airlines were flying out of kw. Will charter flights be included in the ban?
(09-16-2017, 02:38 PM)JoeKW Wrote: It's to prevent Air Canada from undercutting and duplicating successful routes to kill off the competition and then they kill the route, sending people back to Toronto.

Or Westjet.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »