Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Glad to see YKF thriving. Are the subsidies to AA gone now?

Last year we rerouted to YYZ when our ORD->YKF flight was delayed for a few days during a major storm. We took a taxi from Person to YKF for about $150 to pick up the car we left there.
(10-14-2014, 06:57 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I think any flights to the south/west of Chicago from YKF would be a mistake, as they would only divert passengers from the ORD flights.  I'd rather see the service to Chicago grow to the point of adding frequencies.

(10-16-2014, 08:42 AM)ookpik Wrote: If the alternative to YKF -> SFO direct is more daily flights to YKF -> ORD and better pre-clearance, etc. then I agree that's more flexible.

The assumptions seem to be that 1) a sizable portion of the traffic to Chicago is actually connecting to San Francisco, and 2) those people would be the main market for a direct YKF -> SFO flight.

I'm skeptical about the first one, and pretty sure the second one isn't true. Given that there are direct flights from YYZ to SFO, I think most people looking to make that trip to/from Waterloo Region are just going to YYZ.
(10-16-2014, 09:00 PM)mpd618 Wrote: The assumptions seem to be that 1) a sizable portion of the traffic to Chicago is actually connecting to San Francisco, and 2) those people would be the main market for a direct YKF -> SFO flight.
My inference from the discussion is that the more daily flights there are between YKF and ORD the more practical ORD becomes as a hub into the US. That reduces the need for direct flights to SFO while at the same time provides far more options for travel into the US.

Consider if there were hourly flights between YKF and ORD. Then one could fly to most major US cities from YKF through ORD with minimal layover time in ORD, even if the flight to ORD was delayed. Flying from here through ORD to get to SFO would still be more convenient than flying direct from YYZ to ORD because you'd save the trip to/from YYZ and avoid the unpredictability of traffic tie-ups on the 401. (Of course it will be a long time before we see hourly flights to ORD.)
(10-16-2014, 10:03 PM)ookpik Wrote: Consider if there were hourly flights between YKF and ORD. Then one could fly to most major US cities from YKF through ORD with minimal layover time in ORD, even if the flight to ORD was delayed. Flying from here through ORD to get to SFO would still be more convenient than flying direct from YYZ to ORD because you'd save the trip to/from YYZ and avoid the unpredictability of traffic tie-ups on the 401. (Of course it will be a long time before we see hourly flights to ORD.)

The one time I traveled through ORD, the plane from YKF spent the better part of an hour waiting for stairs to arrive, which apparently is not an infrequent occurrence. Then you still have to go through customs and back through another round of security. So there's some unpredictability possible for travel through ORD. With YYZ, I can schedule my flight so I don't need to travel there during rush hour.

I don't like flying, and especially takeoffs and landings, so it would take a lot for me to prefer a trip with a layover if I can do one without.
I don't ever see YKF-SFO being a priority for AA or our airport, as there are greater connection opportunities out of ORD. Also, SFO is not a AA hub, so the chances of them adding the service is slim to none. I think increased frequency to an established hub for AA such as ORD is the way to go for our airport. How are the YKF-ORD numbers looking, Chris?
Quote:Given that there are direct flights from YYZ to SFO, I think most people looking to make that trip to/from Waterloo Region are just going to YYZ.

I fly to the bay area on occasion, and usually end up with YKF-ORD-SJC rather than YYZ-SFO for a few reasons:

• Variability in the time it takes to get to YYZ on the 401, and the time to go through security and clear customs means that I have to leave long before the flight. I can be at the gate at YKF about 30 minutes after leaving downtown Kitchener.
  • My destination is usually near San Jose, so there's extra Caltrain or rental car travel time upon arrival. Combined with the first point the door-to-door travel time is actually lower with the ORD stopover and the option to travel to SJC.
  • We are a one car household so I can't drive to YYZ and park, and it's fairly expensive to take a taxi to and from YYZ.
It might be a different story if we had a second car, and there was a direct YYZ-SJC flight.

(10-16-2014, 12:12 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Glad to see YKF thriving.

Yes, but it's frustrating that more flights aren't being offered.  I guess we're being punished by the airlines for being too close to Toronto.  

But I'm still hopeful.   Perhaps we'll get some good news this year.
Another record breaking year for passenger traffic at YKF.
(01-21-2015, 05:17 PM)jgsz Wrote: Another record breaking year for passenger traffic at YKF.

Pretty remarkable given that Bearskin Airlines ended service to/from YKF in April 2014.
Now just hoping for more services/expansions Smile

People love small airports
I'm hoping for some expansion from Westjet in the form of an early morning Calgary or Vancouver flight. Though they seem pretty caught up in their Encore expansion, it would be nice to see some additional mainline service from them.
Also, it would seem as though American is making money on the YKF-ORD route (knock on wood), considering they've maintained the route even after the subsidy ended.
Slow but steady growth at YKF.   WestJet adds 18 per cent more seats on Calgary route.

Still waiting for news about Air Canada flying from YKF.

(02-03-2015, 10:35 AM)jgsz Wrote: Slow but steady growth at YKF.   WestJet adds 18 per cent more seats on Calgary route.

Switching to bigger 737-800 (I assume from 737-700?)

New (?) 2nd flight during summer

Details of WestJet's new non-stop twice-weekly* service between Kitchener-Waterloo and Calgary are as follows:

Flight
Departing
Arriving
WS 555
Kitchener-Waterloo at 4:05 p.m.
Calgary at 6:10 p.m.
WS 554
Calgary at 9:45 a.m.
Kitchener-Waterloo at 3:21 p.m.

* Available Mondays and Fridays only from September 11 to October 12, 2015

In addition to WestJet's existing non-stop daily*, year-round service between Kitchener-Waterloo and Calgary an additional 38 seats are available on flights which take place between May 3 and October 24, 2015.  Details as follows:

Flight
Departing
Arriving
WS 557
Kitchener-Waterloo at 7:25 p.m.
Calgary at 9:30 p.m.
WS 556
Calgary at 1:05 p.m.
Kitchener-Waterloo at 6:41 p.m.

* Available Monday through Sunday
The Region of Waterloo International Airport recently reported 2014 was the busiest year on record. 145,508 passengers travelled through the Airport between January 1 and December 31, 2014 accounting for a 4.9 per cent increase over the previous year. 
(02-03-2015, 10:35 AM)jgsz Wrote: Slow but steady growth at YKF.   WestJet adds 18 per cent more seats on Calgary route.

Wouldn't count on AC from YKF anytime soon. Seems too niche to me.

I did book tickets for YKF-YYC in April. It should be convenient (although I sort of wish the return was a bit later than noon).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »