Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Still hoping that there will eventually be room for a morning and evening flight. Given the paucity of transit options to get there, besides driving yourself, the best way to get to the airport was to have a friend or family member drop you off or meet you there.

Chris Wood, the general manager, just came on to 570News' Mike Farwell show to take questions.
(01-23-2018, 02:07 PM)KevinT Wrote: Chris Wood, the general manager, just came on to 570News' Mike Farwell show to take questions.

And......  anything of interest come up ?
My emailed question was read... but not answered..... Sad

Coke
(01-23-2018, 02:16 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 02:07 PM)KevinT Wrote: Chris Wood, the general manager, just came on to 570News' Mike Farwell show to take questions.

And......  anything of interest come up ?

I didn't get to listen to much of it, I was chasing the Ion.  I plan to listen to the whole thing when that hour goes up on their web site, and will post the link to it here.
(01-23-2018, 03:43 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 02:16 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: And......  anything of interest come up ?

I didn't get to listen to much of it, I was chasing the Ion.  I plan to listen to the whole thing when that hour goes up on their web site, and will post the link to it here.

Thanks,

nice video of the LRT too !
(01-23-2018, 03:43 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(01-23-2018, 02:16 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: And......  anything of interest come up ?

The Mike Farwell Show - Jan 23rd, 2018 - 1pm

WestJet's Swoop takes a pass on YKF.  At this point I'm not envious that Hamilton is becoming a hub for ULCCs.  They will get lots of flights, lots of noise (especially on the Mountain) and probably little economic benefit.  

However, I'm surprised that no airline (so far as I know) has shown interest in protected flights that YKF is offering.
I cant help but wonder if the airport is being managed to it's fullest potential...
(02-02-2018, 09:18 AM)jgsz Wrote: WestJet's Swoop takes a pass on YKF.  At this point I'm not envious that Hamilton is becoming a hub for ULCCs.  They will get lots of flights, lots of noise (especially on the Mountain) and probably little economic benefit.  

However, I'm surprised that no airline (so far as I know) has shown interest in protected flights that YKF is offering.

I have never heard any serious complaints about noise from Munro. Maybe if the area around it is one day developed (it might become "employment lands," it might also well become suburban sprawl), but it's not particularly near the development on the mountain.
I think ULCCs are definitely better than nothing, but I agree that they're not the ideal target.

It could be mismanagement, but I think there's probably legitimate reasons its hard to attract airlines. Lets not forget that we've lost routes where the planes were flying at pretty high capacity.
(02-02-2018, 10:44 AM)SammyOES Wrote: I think ULCCs are definitely better than nothing, but I agree that they're not the ideal target.

It could be mismanagement, but I think there's probably legitimate reasons its hard to attract airlines.  Lets not forget that we've lost routes where the planes were flying at pretty high capacity.

Yes,the reasons we lost routes were due to restructuring of companies.  No amount of volume through the airport would have saved those routes, and we were not alone, other airports lost the services too.
FlyGTA is offering three flights a day to Billy Bishop Airport.  When did this start?  

(03-08-2018, 07:16 AM)jgsz Wrote: FlyGTA is offering three flights a day to Billy Bishop Airport.  When did this start?  

They announced it October 10, 2017 with service beginning November 6.

Press release is over here: https://www.flygta.com/from-the-press/

WRConnected's coverage began Oct 9 over here: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...9#pid43349
(03-08-2018, 04:39 PM)chutten Wrote:
(03-08-2018, 07:16 AM)jgsz Wrote: FlyGTA is offering three flights a day to Billy Bishop Airport.  When did this start?  

They announced it October 10, 2017 with service beginning November 6.

Press release is over here: https://www.flygta.com/from-the-press/

WRConnected's coverage began Oct 9 over here: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...9#pid43349

jgsz is correct... this is new.  FlyGTA offered TWO flights a day to Billy Bishop back in October.  Here at the airport, I heard (last week) it was coming, but didn't know a launch date.

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »