Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Shops at Waterloo Town Square
(10-05-2015, 09:23 PM)Lens Wrote: Does Waterloo actually OWN their building? I was under the impression that they do not. Also, Kitchener built the Duke st. garage well before the Uptown parkade, and Uptown continues to deal with parking issues.

The Downtown Kitchener, Duke Street parking garage would have been built around 1965 +/- two years.

The holllowing out continues, Reitmans is closed now (not sure when that happened).
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(08-23-2016, 10:48 AM)Pheidippides Wrote: The holllowing out continues, Reitmans is closed now (not sure when that happened).

i don't understand the logic behind the emptying out of the Shops at Waterloo. In the meantime this is a big blight on the town that the central mall is all boarded up. I'm sure if they lowered their rents they would fill up in no time, certainly the Atrium doesn't seem to have any problems keeping a full complement of retailers.
(08-23-2016, 12:05 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: i don't understand the logic behind the emptying out of the Shops at Waterloo. In the meantime this is a big blight on the town that the central mall is all boarded up. I'm sure if they lowered their rents they would fill up in no time, certainly the Atrium doesn't seem to have any problems keeping a full complement of retailers.

How low would they have to go? Didn't someone say months ago that Valu-Mart income has been down about 30% since the LRT work began? Lower rents would probably help in a normal situation, but with the construction that might not be enough. I don't expect anything to move in to fill vacancies until maybe November, but likely 2017.

Also, the vape place looks pretty low-budget which makes me wonder if there are already some deals for lower rent.
(08-23-2016, 02:49 PM)tvot Wrote:
(08-23-2016, 12:05 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: i don't understand the logic behind the emptying out of the Shops at Waterloo. In the meantime this is a big blight on the town that the central mall is all boarded up. I'm sure if they lowered their rents they would fill up in no time, certainly the Atrium doesn't seem to have any problems keeping a full complement of retailers.

How low would they have to go? Didn't someone say months ago that Valu-Mart income has been down about 30% since the LRT work began? Lower rents would probably help in a normal situation, but with the construction that might not be enough. I don't expect anything to move in to fill vacancies until maybe November, but likely 2017.

Also, the vape place looks pretty low-budget which makes me wonder if there are already some deals for lower rent.

I think you're exactly right; things probably won't pick up in the Shops until after LRT construction is completed. My wife and I were in last night and commented how slow it was. After all, the mall is surrounded by construction on all 4 sides to some extent!
The outward-facing commercial units definitely seem to do much better there. I almost wonder if they wouldn't be better off taking off the roof and making it an open-air mall as there is distinctly unpleasant about entering the mall itself. Once the LRT opens up, I expect traffic through the mall will increase due to people cutting through and things will improve a bit. The present situation has got to be the absolute worst case scenario for them.
Yogurty's has permanently closed.  they closed at the end of October another bad year for Waterloo Town Square. Carl's Jr., Reitmans and Yogurty's all closed this year

Put the thing out of its misery. If they lose the grocery store all's lost.
Beertown, Shoppers, and Valumart are all fine anchors that don't appear to be going anywhere. The recent closures are likely tied to Ion construction; I imagine things will improve soon.
(11-13-2016, 04:39 PM)KevinL Wrote: Beertown, Shoppers, and Valumart are all fine anchors that don't appear to be going anywhere. The recent closures are likely tied to Ion construction; I imagine things will improve soon.

I don't know about Shoppers or Beertown but I know Valumart isn't doing great. I believe there just making enough profit to stay in business. I was an employee there for over 4 years but I was laid off in May and a bunch of other staff were laid off before and after I was. If T&T is opening at Westmount place that will affect sales even more.
On the other hand, once the LRT is open, I do believe it will bring additional business to Valumart.
One would hope for more business from all the people that will eventually live at the various Barrelyards buildings.
This is probably an over generalization, but I suspect that most of the people who can afford the rents at the Barrelyards probably do not walk across the street to Valumart, but probably drive to Vincenzo's.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(11-14-2016, 05:15 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: This is probably an over generalization, but I suspect that most of the people who can afford the rents at the Barrelyards probably do not walk across the street to Valumart, but probably drive to Vincenzo's.

Vincenzo's is not open during many hours when one might want groceries. And it doesn't meet all of one's groceries needs in any case.
Plus, Valumart is more in walking distance (it's still true that not everyone drives!).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »