Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
There's a new restaurant called Uki in the My Thai space uptown. They serve Korean and Japanese (mostly sushi). It didn't look open last time I walked by, but their website says they're open.

https://ukirestaurant.com/

Kuo Kiang (Ken) Lee passed away on May 22.  He was the owner of both the Tien Hoa Inn in Waterloo and Tien Sun Inn in Cambridge.
Two new restaurants coming to DTK:
  • Reke Naija Kitchen (Duke Food Block): authentic Nigerian Food.
  • Coop Wicked Chicken (1 Queen St N): well, I expect they'll have chicken. And an LLBO licence.
(07-31-2022, 10:59 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Two new restaurants coming to DTK:
  • Reke Naija Kitchen (Duke Food Block): authentic Nigerian Food.
  • Coop Wicked Chicken (1 Queen St N): well, I expect they'll have chicken. And an LLBO licence.

Looks like there are other locations for https://thecoopwickedchicken.com
Sonny's has sold and is closed until further notice.

Sonny's in Waterloo closes 'until further notice' after business, property sold
https://kitchener.citynews.ca/local-news...ld-5648931
Kitchener brings renewed Boathouse one step closer to reality

The City of Kitchener has moved forward on the next steps to breathe new life into the Boathouse, a key venue in the heart of Victoria Park. 
The preferred proposal from Walkinshaw Holdings Inc. envisions transforming the Boathouse into an iconic venue for live music, food, and indoor and outdoor entertainment. The proposal places a focus on social responsibility, with paid local live music a minimum of two days a week, and locally sourced food and drink. Walkinshaw Holdings would also establish a local arts fund and form a Community Advisory Committee to ensure that Boathouse programming is inclusive and diverse.  
“One thing is clear to me – Kitchener residents love the Victoria Park Boathouse and the historic role it has played in Kitchener’s music scene.  Our community, staff and Council all see the potential for this beloved venue in the heart of Kitchener,” said Mayor Berry Vrbanovic. “I am thrilled that this new proposal will see a renewed Boathouse return as a restaurant and live music and entertainment hotspot for residents and visitors from near and far once again.” 
Walkinshaw Holdings is made up of a team of local entrepreneurs with decades of collective experience in the restaurant industry, entertainment, marketing, fundraising, business, and technology. The team includes Amber French, Kurtis McBride, Shawn Flanagan, Sean Goodchild, Taylor Jones, James Barr, and Corey Watterson. 
“We're beyond excited to reimagine such an iconic venue. This is a chance to recognize that heritage isn't just who we were, but also who we are and who we want to be. Kitchener is a diverse and growing community; The Boathouse, at its heart, should be a place where everyone feels at home” said Walkinshaw business team partner James Barr. 
If approved to move forward, Walkinshaw would make a significant investment in the facility to offer a waterfront experience unique to Waterloo Region. Proposed investments include expansion of the outdoor patio, upgrading the interior, improving the main entrance and enhancing the views of Victoria Park Lake. They will also ensure that noise from live music is well-managed. 
“A re-imagined and active Boathouse will truly complement Victoria Park and Downtown Kitchener,” said Ward 9 Councillor Debbie Chapman. “I look forward to watching it come alive as a go-to spot for lovers of local food and live music.” 
As the proposed modifications require approvals and/or review from external agencies, a final agreement is not anticipated until later this year. If approved, Walkinshaw anticipates welcoming the community in the Spring of 2023.      
For more information, contact:  
Shawn Falcao,   
Manager, Corporate Communications and Marketing  
shawn.falcao@kitchener.ca
I hope they can get on with it and not hobble the place with onerous bureaucratic mandates.

Cafe Pyrus will take over the Kitchener Central Library cafe location in early September.
Humble Lotus sushi is now open in Market Flats. Takeout only for now, but they are hoping to set up a patio later.

We ate a bunch of their rolls on Saturday, and they were quite good.
Milton's has been listed for sale. $495,000

https://kitchener.citynews.ca/local-news...le-5876775
Good riddance to those owners!
The owner of Siebra got a discount from the city to rent and transform an old property downtown Galt and built an unusual but charming fried food (burgers, ice cream, doughnuts, whatever) shop. It looks like they have a new trendy big name product with Mr. Beast burgers, acting as a "ghost kitchen".

https://www.cambridgetoday.ca/local-news...ge-5998529
local cambridge weirdo
In a surprise twist, Starbucks is returning to DTK. In the same location they closed in 2021. They have a sign up in the window that they're hiring.

I guess this means they're liking the stats they see about DTK recovering from the pandemic? Anecdotally it's busier than ever.

(11-09-2022, 10:15 PM)taylortbb Wrote: In a surprise twist, Starbucks is returning to DTK. In the same location they closed in 2021. They have a sign up in the window that they're hiring.

I guess this means they're liking the stats they see about DTK recovering from the pandemic? Anecdotally it's busier than ever.

I recall reading, perhaps even on this forum, that they never actually left the location (i.e. maintaining the lease, equipment, etc) and would likely reopen in the future. I guess whoever wrote that was telling the truth, and Starbucks never intended to leave.
(11-09-2022, 11:09 PM)dtkvictim Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 10:15 PM)taylortbb Wrote: In a surprise twist, Starbucks is returning to DTK. In the same location they closed in 2021. They have a sign up in the window that they're hiring.

I recall reading, perhaps even on this forum, that they never actually left the location (i.e. maintaining the lease, equipment, etc) and would likely reopen in the future. I guess whoever wrote that was telling the truth, and Starbucks never intended to leave.

I did post on Reddit that I thought they'd be back, maybe I posted here too. I was walking by months after they closed and noticed my phone auto connected to Starbucks WiFi, meaning they still had equipment there, but that got shutoff earlier this year. I hadn't seen anything from anyone with insider info, and the WiFi isn't the strongest indicator.

Would love to know what went down internally.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »