Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(01-18-2015, 02:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm told that the new Walper Hotel restaurant, (formerly the RumRunner Pub) to be known as "TWH Social Bar/Bistro" is getting ready for a soft opening in the very near future.

I'm assuming that TWH stands for 'The Walper Hotel'.  Would be kind of strange to have TWH and TWB in the same downtown....

Well, the Walper bar/bistro will be known as the "TWH Social" and I suspect that will become "The Social" for most people.
That's a horrible name even if you drop the awkward letters.
(01-18-2015, 07:04 PM)clasher Wrote: That's a horrible name even if you drop the awkward letters.

I have to agree.  Lacks inspiration for the space that should be an anchor of such an old institution.

Somewhat blase...
I'm not sure I see a problem. "Social" has been one of Ottawa's trendier bar/restaurants for a number of years.
(01-18-2015, 07:22 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I'm not sure I see a problem.  "Social" has been one of Ottawa's trendier bar/restaurants for a number of years.

The Nithridge Social Eatery in Roseville has been around for a year.  Odd name in that I don't get the "social" part.  But with a number of Ontario craft beers and a 160 year old building you kind of forget about the name...
Indeed, if the food is good and the beverages flow, one can't get too concerned about the name.

Raja Fine Cuisine - Belmont Village - (I grew up just blocks from this strip and it has changed a lot except for John's Submarines and TD Bank)

I went for dinner with my son to the Raja Fine Indian Cuisine restaurant on Friday (January 23). It was a very relaxing and enjoyable dinner with attentive wait staff.

We ate a la carte from the menu with very traditional  foods listed and served. The food was very tasty but not as spicy as I had hoped for. 

Our appetizers were vegetable pakoras and I enjoyed the Mulligatawny soup. We shared the Chicken Tika Masala which was very tasty but we both like a little more kick. We also shared the Aloo Gobhi which was amazing. The potatoes were cooked perfectly and the cauliflower was not over cooked with a wonderful curry sauce. Two different rice dishes added to the aforementioned. All in before the tip the bill was $83 which is expected in a fine dining restaurant.

As the non-driver I enjoyed a very fresh mango martini at $11. 

Final comment: it was Friday night and the place was full after 7:00 p.m. but no waiting, about 30-35 persons, most of them overheard to be full of themselves university profs and significant others (that was the only regret of the evening ... listening to them blah, blah blah as I must listen to their ilk all day). We will be going back soon to have them kick the spice and curry up a notch.

Cheers,
William

P.S. Two fo the three tables near us, which included ours, were rocking like cafeteria tables. Hopefully they can adjust the feet of these tables to approximate the level or lack of level of the floor. 
Went to The Boathouse for dinner Saturday. Arrived around 6-6:30, and was asked whether I had a reservation for my friend and I, and indeed it was busy then and bar-standing-packed as people waited for tables when we left around 7:30-8. Delicious martinis and good beer selection that didn't step on Imbibe's toes. The fish cakes and a fried onion starter were great, maybe my lemon-pepper wings could have had a bit more generous dose of flavouring but the meat was scrumptious. Puff pastry stuffed with vegetables and meat was fluffy and filling. Hope to return soon, and will have to keep an eye on bookings (both of bands, and of reservations).
Does anyone know what is being built at the old Fairway Rd. Kelsey's location? (parking lot beside Pier 1 imports) I didn't see a coming soon sign or anything to indicate what's going there.
There was a sign (not sure if it's still there) for a State & Main restaurant. It looks like a smaller, Moxie's/Earl's-esqe chain of restaurants.
Cool, the sign must have went up recently or wasn't facing the street. I went by there a couple weeks ago and didn't see anything.
it was just a "coming soon" sign, I would imagine the permanent sign will go up soon

Fox & Fiddle in uptown Waterloo has closed, looks like they were evicted.
[Image: c3j9MLK.jpg][Image: 6k7qRHz.jpg]
Stingers Dine & Dance Bar?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »