Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
Honey Bake Shop also wanted to change their focus. They've all but removed coffee from the menu at Unity, there's no longer mass amounts of seating and ice cream. The back still powers her cake baking for weddings and the like, but the takeaway options are drastically reduced, and with it the floor space and employee requirements to manage it.

(02-21-2017, 02:33 PM)nms Wrote: ....a high number of places to eat with maybe a handful of services (dentist, hair cuts, pharmacy), but no general retail?  Or, half tongue in cheek, does this mean that this is the forerunner a new wave of retail spaces that cater to a similar demographic.

The volume (profit) a restaurant or bar sees in a matter of hours during prime time on a weekend would outpace the profit most 'general retail' would see putting in a full week of work unless selling something highly in demand to an established clientele.  Rents go up, and the businesses with the higher profit margins are the ones that can afford it.  Sad but true.
So the decision to permit the A&W on Ottawa and Strasburg by the planning committee has been rejected by city Council.
This one looks like it is headed to the OMB and I think the developer has a very strong case especially since the planning committee was on board.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/716453...turnaround
(03-01-2017, 06:44 AM)rangersfan Wrote: So the decision to permit the A&W on Ottawa and Strasburg by the planning committee has been rejected by city Council.
This one looks like it is headed to the OMB and I think the developer has a very strong case especially since the planning committee was on board.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/716453...turnaround

I watched the whole discussion on Rogers TV. I have to say , they really got it wrong. This was a case of political grandstanding to look like they are advocates for the people. I elect my representatives to make the difficult decisions even if it is unpopular. It is called being principled. Something that is seriously lacking in leadership roles these days. Scott Davey got it right. I was impressed with him. The city will now pay for outside people to lobby against our own administration. The only losers on this will be the tax payers.
From the article: "Rosemary Hagedorn, whose home backs onto the site, disagrees. A gas station and car wash could bring fumes, pollution and the noise of car vacuums and the car wash, she fears, as well as increased traffic. A"

Sounds like one of the residents sees common sense. It's not like nothing is going to be built there, and the lot will instead turn into a community park. Was the council's reasoning in the article? I did not see it.
Just as an FYI. Newspaper articles never capture the whole story. Yes that was one concern. The biggest concer was an increase in traffic and a back up of vehicles waiting to make right turns. As I said. I watched the entire discusioon and listened to all the representatives or delegates.

It was the council members which I was most disappointed in. Again. It was an opportunity to grandstand when they fully know it will go to the OMB and most likely their decision will be overturned for good reason. This is why it is important for them to make defendable decisions irrespective of how they feel. It is called being a leader. If your not prepared to do that. Don't run for council. That's all I am saying. I am completely open to the concerns of the neighbors but unfortunately the end result will not be in their favour. And now, rightfully so, the additional money the developer pays for the OMB hearing will take away from what could have been improvements to the development in good faith. Oh well.
What they voted for was free political advertising. Those 6 council members know that they have no case at the OMB and will lose, so regardless of their vote, an A&W or similar use facility will be going in there. By voting against it, they signal to the neighbouring (and other NIMBY) residents that they will stand for obstruction, no matter how baseless. They get free news stories as well. The only cost is to the city's finances to pay for the OMB for both sides at the eventual loss.

(03-01-2017, 10:19 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: What they voted for was free political advertising. Those 6 council members know that they have no case at the OMB and will lose, so regardless of their vote, an A&W or similar use facility will be going in there. By voting against it, they signal to the neighbouring (and other NIMBY) residents that they will stand for obstruction, no matter how baseless. They get free news stories as well. The only cost is to the city's finances to pay for the OMB for both sides at the eventual loss.

Lol. Or I could have saved all my typing and just said. Yeah. What he said.   Nicely put
(03-01-2017, 09:58 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: The city will now pay for outside people to lobby against our own administration. The only losers on this will be the tax payers.

And the local residents. As the articles says:

Quote:He warned that if his appeal is successful, the noise-abating fence, underground garbage storage and other enhancements may not be part of the final plan, given the extra costs he will bear to pay for an appeal, he said. "Everything is a clean slate," Kooh said.
I think it would have been a non issue. I've never seen an A&W with drive thru lines as long as a Tims or McDonalds and most locations aren't as busy.
Just compare the lots on Highland between the McDonalds and A&W. The new A&W wouldn't have drawn in much more traffic to the area.
I have little sympathy for people who buy a home next to a road that is zoned commercial and then complain when development happens.   Same for people who buy a home downtown. Or close to the airport. What were they thinking?  That everything will stay the same forever?  That's just not realistic. And city councillors who side with them are just crass opportunists.
Opportunism, absolutely. This let them claim they were against it, and that it only went through thanks to the remote and undemocratic OMB - the councillors fought for the little guy!

Ugh, spare me.
On my way to the Kitchener Market today I noticed that 197 King St E (formerly Easy Earthen Restaurant) is now Variedad Latina, a Central American market/restaurant (more on the restaurant side compared to the other Latina markets downtown, with lots of seating). Apparently they just opened yesterday and starting next week will be serving a variety of Central American foods including pupusas, tacos, tripe soups, and daily specials.

Oh, the old Fiedler's! I'll have to check it out.
I don't know if its been mentioned but the Fairway Burger King and Crabby Joe's have been vacated. Looks like the new terminal will be progressing soon.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »