Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
(07-04-2017, 09:28 AM)timc Wrote: Given the history of Market Square, I'm skeptical that one could make anything work in that location.

The two "pros" I'd see would be access to parking and proximity to the Ion station.  Plus the considerable amount of new housing that has been conceived/proposed in the general area, if any of it gets built.

I find it interesting that the community advocate lives at Frederick and Lancaster- he has a great grocery store in Value Mart just a few blocks away.

I'm always surprised that, when the downtown grocery store question is raised, Central is cited but Value on Frederick rarely is (this was the case in the article). Value's closer to the heart of downtown than Central is. It's only a kilometre from Weber. And it's a much larger store.

I'm not saying that downtown proper shouldn't have or couldn't justify having a full-service grocery store; I'm just surprised by this blind spot that some people seem to have, and I don't understand why it is.
Perhaps its proximity to the Expressway gives it a certain cachet? Not sure, just spitballing.
I don't think "cachet" is quite how I would put it, but as someone born and raised in Kitchener and a frequent visitor by car to Frederick St mall, I definitely wouldn't associate the mall with "Downtown". I'm actually surprised to think of it being as close or closer to at least parts of Downtown as the Central. Certainly people living Downtown could, and probably do, go there for groceries, but it doesn't in my mind respond to the "need" for a Downtown supermarket.
It might well be its proximity to the expressway; I think that's a very plausible theory. I have it in my mind as being an unpleasant walk from downtown, but I don't really know why. Maybe it is just the fact of being near the expressway, relatively little shade over there, and a big parking lot outside.

Central is a walk along King (not the nicest part of King, I have to admit, but King nevertheless), so maybe the walk feels more urban.

I don't think it responds very well to the need for a downtown supermarket either. I just think it does at least as much as Central does (so, to some degree), and people forget it.
(07-04-2017, 01:57 PM)MidTowner Wrote: It might well be its proximity to the expressway; I think that's a very plausible theory. I have it in my mind as being an unpleasant walk from downtown, but I don't really know why. Maybe it is just the fact of being near the expressway, relatively little shade over there, and a big parking lot outside.

Central is a walk along King (not the nicest part of King, I have to admit, but King nevertheless), so maybe the walk feels more urban.

I don't think it responds very well to the need for a downtown supermarket either. I just think it does at least as much as Central does (so, to some degree), and people forget it.

Its a nicer walk along king than to New City
I've lived downtown for 15 years and always been more than happy with going to Sobeys or Food Basics on Highland, especially on foot/bike the trip down the trail is only a bit more than a kilometer.

Sobey's is 2.2 km from King/Queen, Valu-Mart is 1.7 km. Neither is really close but depending where in the downtown area one lives, one of them may be quite walkable.
The community advocate is James Howe. More on his blog: http://www.fredandlanc.ca/2017/07/perfec...ery-store/ and the original at The Community Edition: https://communityedition.ca/wr-and-howe-...stop-shop/
There is an open building permit for a Harveys Restaurant beside the Petro Canada on Fischer Hallman and Westmount Roads

17-113669 CB
Exterior coming along faster than interior:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
So where is this? Going back half a dozen pages in this thread did not find the answer.
Sorry.

100 King St S, Waterloo
(the old Honey Bake Shop, next to WordsWorth)

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/100+Kin...80.5215294
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

Thanks!
Cobs Bread bakery is now open at The Boardwalk in one of the new office buildings also a Little Caesars Pizza has opened in the old Nutrition House unit.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »