Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
It did reopen, but in an LRT-construction-depressed Uptown.
It wasn't long before they closed up again, and focused on the Highland location.

The grand opening is today for the donburi house on King south of Frederick, 11:30-1:00 Mon-Sat.
(07-30-2018, 10:13 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The grand opening is today for the donburi house on King south of Frederick, 11:30-1:00 Mon-Sat.

"East" of Frederick, methinks.  Smile
(07-30-2018, 10:24 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 10:13 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: The grand opening is today for the donburi house on King south of Frederick, 11:30-1:00 Mon-Sat.

"East" of Frederick, methinks.  Smile

Indeed!

We visited Izna about two weeks ago, on one of their "soft open" days. We loved the rough-hewn interior, and the dishes were properly Japanese style. The open kitchen looks good and the staff was attentive. No liquor licence yet at that time.

We had gyoza, oyakodon (chicken/egg donburi bowl) and a chicken noodle dish (sorry, I forget which one). Generally good and tasty, but not quite authentic Japanese: Izna's dishes were a bit heavy on the sauces and dressings. Still, we will definitely be back. And I will probably do some izakaya-style visits (linger and chat over appetizers and beers only) with friends as Kinkaku discourages this type of visit.
New Greek place in Breslau, Little Greek Fresh Grill.  They do take away catering for large groups.

https://www.littlegreekgrill.ca/
It looks like Watami Sushi might soon be re-opening in Uptown at 14 King N, just across the street from their old location.
Graffiti Market  opened yesterday in Catalyst 137 and it looks interesting.  Their specialty will be Detroit Style Pizza, pasta and rotisserie chicken.  (My understanding is that Levetto's makes Detroit Style Pizza.)  They say they'll be open till 2:00 am!  I will have to check this place out.

Look forward to some pics of the different elements, and a report on Red Circle beers! At my age, I rather regret the loss of interaction with servers, but the whole thing sounds very interesting, as long as the quality is there.
Progress on Anchor Bar at the Shops:

and Ace Ping Pong Lounge up the street on King:

Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
We went by Watami this morning and the owner came out and let us know they had soft opened. They're planning on a grand opening around the end of August.
https://www.meetup.com/Ethnic-Food-Hunte...253851484/ 
Lets meet. I created this group to explore hidden gems and expriment new food.
(08-16-2018, 04:36 PM)imnalam@gmail.com Wrote: https://www.meetup.com/Ethnic-Food-Hunte...253851484/ 
Lets meet. I created this group to explore hidden gems and experiment new food.
(08-16-2018, 04:38 PM)imnalam@gmail.com Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 04:36 PM)imnalam@gmail.com Wrote: https://www.meetup.com/Ethnic-Food-Hunte...253851484/ 
Lets meet. I created this group to explore hidden gems and experiment new food.

Actually, Ben Thanh is Vietnamese, not Thai.  It is named after a large market place in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam. If I were to join a group (not a bad idea) I would like the organizer to be accurate.

(08-16-2018, 05:17 PM)jgsz Wrote: Actually, Ben Thanh is Vietnamese, not Thai.  It is named after a large market place in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam. If I were to join a group (not a bad idea) I would like the organizer to be accurate.

IIRC, their sign directly calls it "Viet-Thai" food?
(08-16-2018, 05:17 PM)jgsz Wrote: Actually, Ben Thanh is Vietnamese, not Thai.  It is named after a large market place in Ho Chi Minh city, Vietnam. If I were to join a group (not a bad idea) I would like the organizer to be accurate.
 /r/gatekeeping
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »