Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
That's what I suspect. They say the Cambridge location remains open, so presumably that has a different owner. Hopefully something can be sorted out, because they're a great healthy fast food option.

(09-14-2018, 10:46 AM)jamincan Wrote: Just saw a post on /r/waterloo saying all of the Zoup locations in London, Kitchener and Waterloo are closed as of today. The poster is claiming to be a manager at one of the locations and says they were only notified this morning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterloo/commen...ly_closed/

Disappointing indeed!  One a block from my place I finally went too, would have gone back, but it never seemed busy.
(09-14-2018, 10:46 AM)jamincan Wrote: Just saw a post on /r/waterloo saying all of the Zoup locations in London, Kitchener and Waterloo are closed as of today. The poster is claiming to be a manager at one of the locations and says they were only notified this morning.

https://www.reddit.com/r/waterloo/commen...ly_closed/

Had it at work once, liked the chicken pot pie one they had, so I stopped at the uptown location. Bought an overpriced bowl, and never went back.
I can't say enough good things about Izna Donburi, the Japanese restaurant in downtown Kitchener.  I went twice over 3 days (once with coworkers, once with family) and both times the food was spectacular.  I had the Omurice (Chicken fried rice covered with an egg omelette) the first time and it was just so good, the omellete was perfectly creamy, the rice had such deep flavour and there was a delicious sauce.  The second time I had Buta Don (Spicy pork on rice), while very good it wasn't amazing... also not spicy.  The other dish at our table was the Yaki Udon (Stir fried udon) which was delicious as well.

I'm posting this to encourage others to try this new restaurant because it's always a shame when top notch restaurants don't even make it a year.

[Image: yb2LUVu.jpg]
I agree it's quite good. And not AYCE. And no line-up to get in. And I love the interior.

The food is not quite authentic, though, they do take some liberties with it. I love oyakodon, for example (chicken and egg on rice), but in Japan you would never get sauce and spicy mayo on this dish. Fortunately the Izna staff has been quite helpful when I have asked them to skip the sauce … Smile

I will say that Izna's omuraisu is actually better than (the fairly basic one) you usually get in Japan!
Looks like a restaurant called PizzaWarma is opening in the old dry cleaning space at Highland and Spadina.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Serving pizza and shawarma?

Or shawarma pizza?!?!
Looks like the East African Cafe recently underwent some renovations (and didn't close down, as I had thought), as well as gained a small grocery store?

[Image: neAk40Xr.jpg]
Downtown facade improvement program?
That is a nice improvement.
Yes … only the line between the darker and lighter grey paint looks kind of hand-brushed.
(09-17-2018, 05:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes … only the line between the darker and lighter grey paint looks kind of hand-brushed.

Yes, if the photo is accurate, the upper horizontal is a bit shaky.

(09-17-2018, 05:37 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 05:24 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Yes … only the line between the darker and lighter grey paint looks kind of hand-brushed.

Yes, if the photo is accurate, the upper horizontal is a bit shaky.

It really is a bit shaky, even in real life. Smile
A decent restaurant review for La Cucina in DTK, from the Record (which really needs to hire a professional food and restaurant person).

https://www.therecord.com/whatson-story/...kitchener/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »