Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
387-397 King St E and 6 Madison Ave | 2 & 8 fl | U/C
Has it been confirmed that that's indeed the render for this project? I thought there was some confusion around that?

(03-25-2019, 10:22 AM)Spokes Wrote: I was hoping this and the drewlo project would happen at the same time.  Would have been nice to watch them go up side by side.
(03-25-2019, 07:50 PM)Lens Wrote: Rumour is the Architect for this one is the same one that did this original render for the site a few years ago and the new render doesn't look much better. I think it has been mentioned but the grocery store would simply be the owner of the site (Ben Thanh) moving into the new 2 storey office/grocery space from across King

My fingers crossed this site just gets sold to someone else.

I don't think there is time for a complete redesign of the site while still getting the construction substantially under way in the next five months. While I don't love the renders, it's really no worse than King St S in Waterloo. It'll fit in fine, not everything needs to be top-notch architecture. The site has been vacant for probably five decades, this is a massive improvement already.

And I'm quite OK with BT doing a grocery store in this property. The store will certainly be larger than their current one, and will allow them to do more. Since the big chains are not yet interested in DTK, I'm happy that BT is willing to double down on our success.
(03-26-2019, 08:45 AM)Spokes Wrote: Has it been confirmed that that's indeed the render for this project? I thought there was some confusion around that?

That's the old render. I've heard the new one isn't much better and is the same architect as that one.
I thought there was a new one floating around. THanks for confirming.
The billboard sign on this lot was being taken down today. Maybe something will be happening soon?
The building permit has finally been issued, about two weeks ago! Two-floor supermarket + office building, plus an eight-story condo building.

(07-03-2019, 12:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The building permit has finally been issued, about two weeks ago! Two-floor supermarket + office building, plus an eight-story condo building.

Condo?  There's been no sales activity as yet, has there?
(07-03-2019, 05:27 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-03-2019, 12:38 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The building permit has finally been issued, about two weeks ago! Two-floor supermarket + office building, plus an eight-story condo building.

Condo?  There's been no sales activity as yet, has there?

There has not, no. So there are a few possibilities:
  • They are not planning to start yet in spite of applying for the permit
  • They will proceed in phases, with the supermarket/office at first
  • They will start construction of the condo without pre-selling (assumes they have sufficient financing)
  • They have switched plans and it will be a rental building
I do believe they missed out on the development fee exemption, so we'll need to wait and see what happens.
If they missed out on the exemption there's no rush to start
(07-06-2019, 07:53 AM)Spokes Wrote: If they missed out on the exemption there's no rush to start

That's correct. Yet they didn't drop the building permit application. We'll see soon enough (a month or two) whether they intend to proceed with construction.
Egads! There is construction fencing! Could something be actually happening, after all these decades?

How amazing would it be to see this site, the Drewlo project, and Market Flats all under construction at the same time?

Market flats is excavating currently.
The placement of the fence in the photo above makes me wonder whether they might be planning to build something smaller than the "rest of the block" render that we've seen?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »