Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Other Forum Issues
Justin, would it be easy to test these with another theme, to determine whether that's the problem?

Too much spam today.  I wonder if there's software that could be programmed to not accept posts if they contained certain words like 'Adidas' or 'Nike' and other key words that spammers use.
(01-03-2018, 08:33 AM)jgsz Wrote: Too much spam today.  I wonder if there's software that could be programmed to not accept posts if they contained certain words like 'Adidas' or 'Nike' and other key words that spammers use.

You don't want "cheap Nike boots"? Sounds like a bargain. /s
Don't new accounts have to be manually approved?
No they don't. That's far too time consuming. We've tried some methods for registration that have improved things.

Spam is an issue, yes. Although as a whole it seems to be better than it has been in the past.
(01-02-2018, 11:34 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Justin, would it be easy to test these with another theme, to determine whether that's the problem?

I'll activate the default theme for a bit and see how that goes.

Be warned.  It's not pretty hah.
Seems to help the rate/report issues. That tells me its a javascript issue.

Moderation issues are still present I think

I think looking for a new theme is in order. That sucks. A TON of time and energy went into customizing this one. Two things I have neither of these days. Might need new graphics too. Damn. OK, done bitching.

I'm considering publicly stating that a goal of ours needs to be to fundraise next year to switch to xenforo. (not an official statement haha)

What's the cost for xenforo? (Apart from the effort required to migrate existing content ...)
Xenforo is $140 plus the potential cost of a theme, but the time/headache is the real cost along with learning a new software.

I think I'm leaning towards finding a new mybb theme for now though. The more I think about it the more I wonder how many of our issues are theme related. Just annoying to lose three years worth of customization.
You've done a great job Spokes. Thanks for all your time, energy and love for this project.

Ok, so after some time using the default theme and playing around with some other themes, this current theme (and to a lesser extent the default theme) is the issue. There is some conflict with the javascript. I'm going to see if I can get a workable theme that looks good and functions well up and running within the next few days. The looks/colours/graphics might not mesh initially, but it will function.

This could be the solution we're looking for.
We just moved from Oxford County to DTK.   I used to post pictures with no problems.  Now it doesn't work.  The only way I can attach a photo is on my ipad and only if I take the picture with my ipad.  Nothing else seems to work.  We used Netflash and now we are with Bell.  Can anyone offer any suggestions?
Were you able to attach photos from your iPad before?

I'll be totally honest, I know nothing about Apple products. (Android all the way, but I digress)

jgsz, is this specifically on the iPad? If yes, are you using Safari or Chrome?

P.S. Congratulations and welcome to DTK! Smile
(08-10-2018, 01:11 PM)tomh009 Wrote: jgsz, is this specifically on the iPad? If yes, are you using Safari or Chrome?

P.S. Congratulations and welcome to DTK! Smile

I use a desktop, laptop and an iPad.  I use Chrome on all three.  I can’t post pictures on any of them except on the iPad and only if I take a new pic.  Not good.

Exciting things are happening in DTK and we want to be part of it.  We lived in Kitchener and never lost touch.  Both of us continued to work in Kitchener and Waterloo while we lived in Oxford County.  But it’s great to be living here again.  The big ‘small city’ is morphing into a small ‘big city.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »