Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Other Forum Issues
I'd like to know too haha

Did you notice how I clearly allowed Chris to give me credit for it though?

(01-29-2019, 06:17 PM)Spokes Wrote: I'd like to know too haha

Did you notice how I clearly allowed Chris to give me credit for it though?

Big Grin
(01-28-2019, 11:49 PM)Chris Wrote: The real-time read/unread feature now in the "New Posts" page is amazing.

So one thing I've noticed with the redesign is that the live updating of the new posts page no longer works. I have to go back to the home page and refresh it and then click on the new "new post' banner to see posts made since I started reading. Refreshing on the new posts page does not pull up new posts for me.

Chris
(02-25-2019, 10:20 PM)Chris Wrote:
(01-28-2019, 11:49 PM)Chris Wrote: The real-time read/unread feature now in the "New Posts" page is amazing. 

So one thing I've noticed with the redesign is that the live updating of the new posts page no longer works. I have to go back to the home page and refresh it and then click on the new "new post' banner to see posts made since I started reading. Refreshing on the new posts page does not pull up new posts for me.

Chris

I really don't think it ever worked that way. MyBB saves the search (the ID is part of the URL) but that's basically a snapshot. If there are new posts in a thread, that thread will be bolded, but the search will not show any additional threads that might have new posts.

Just scroll to the top of any page and click on "What's New?".
In the meanwhile, anyone else appreciate the new front page? I think it's more appealing than before.
(02-25-2019, 10:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 10:20 PM)Chris Wrote: So one thing I've noticed with the redesign is that the live updating of the new posts page no longer works. I have to go back to the home page and refresh it and then click on the new "new post' banner to see posts made since I started reading. Refreshing on the new posts page does not pull up new posts for me.

Chris

I really don't think it ever worked that way. MyBB saves the search (the ID is part of the URL) but that's basically a snapshot. If there are new posts in a thread, that thread will be bolded, but the search will not show any additional threads that might have new posts.

Tom summed it up perfectly.  A MyBB extension flags what posts you haven't seen an shows it in the "what's new" page.
(02-25-2019, 11:04 PM)KevinL Wrote: In the meanwhile, anyone else appreciate the new front page? I think it's more appealing than before.

Thanks KevinL.  The homepage is something I've ALWAYS thought to be a weakness.  it's not perfect, but I think it's moving in the right direction.  I appreciate the feedback.

On mobile, the new posts image seems a bit large. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a shorter path to my most used link on the site, but seems slightly overbearing at first glance.
Here's the trick for the "What's new" page. Bookmark the following instead:

http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...on=unreads

This is the link used by the "What's New" link and creates a new search in MyBB. If you bookmark the page after you click the link, it's linked to the previous search ID. Unfortunately, on Android, I can't figure out / haven't put the effort in to figure out how to make a link on my home screen to a specific URL rather than a page.
(02-26-2019, 12:01 AM)timio Wrote: On mobile, the new posts image seems a bit large.  Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have a shorter path to my most used link on the site, but seems slightly overbearing at first glance.

Thanks for that.  My phone is broken to the point of not even turning on right now, so mobile testing has been limited.  That's good to know though.  A pixel reduction should help that.
(02-25-2019, 11:44 PM)Spokes Wrote:
(02-25-2019, 10:40 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I really don't think it ever worked that way. MyBB saves the search (the ID is part of the URL) but that's basically a snapshot. If there are new posts in a thread, that thread will be bolded, but the search will not show any additional threads that might have new posts.

Tom summed it up perfectly.  A MyBB extension flags what posts you haven't seen an shows it in the "what's new" page.

I think I know why it was working like this for me. I started using the Edge browser. When I finished reading a thread and went back to the new posts it was refreshing itself.
(02-26-2019, 09:03 AM)jamincan Wrote: Here's the trick for the "What's new" page. Bookmark the following instead:

This is the link used by the "What's New" link and creates a new search in MyBB. If you bookmark the page after you click the link, it's linked to the previous search ID. Unfortunately, on Android, I can't figure out / haven't put the effort in to figure out how to make a link on my home screen to a specific URL rather than a page.

That's been my bookmark for a long time... I hadn't been to the front page in a long time and didn't realize there was anything updating on there.
(02-26-2019, 09:03 AM)jamincan Wrote: Here's the trick for the "What's new" page. Bookmark the following instead:

+1 on this. Since I discovered this feature, I just bookmarked that link and started using that instead.

And since I use FF and FF Mobile, my bookmarks sync between the two.

I've started to get e-mail notifications that people have posted in threads I've participated in. How do I make this stop?
Follow this link to manage your subscriptions: http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/u...scriptions

Make sure that all threads there are set to no notifications.

That should work.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »