Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Sports and Recreation News
(04-26-2016, 08:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote: My sense is that it's really because it's not in Galt.  But nobody in Cambridge would be likely to say that.

Except for people in Preston and Hespeler.

(04-27-2016, 09:36 PM)tomh009 Wrote: RIM Park was built 15 years ago when the area was basically farmland, bordering Woolwich Township.  Definitely not central then, not very central even now.

New sports complexes are rarely built in central locations as they need a fair bit of empty land for facilities and parking, and central land is expensive.  In Kitchener, Activa Sportsplex is the newest one (just off Hanson Drive) and it is far from being central.

As to Cambridge rinks closing, the way I read the news articles, they said "one or two rinks might be closed".  Nothing definite, not the number nor the location.

It might be the pessimist in me but if they don't have the money set aside to rehabilitate the arenas they will disappear, especially since they are talking publicly of possibility closing them down. Closing the zoo in Waterloo Park was mentioned once and was shut down by waterloo council almost immediately, that hasn't happened in with Cambridge council as far as I know. Cambridge council is kind of weird overall with building a pedestrian bridge 220 meters away from an existing bridge. 

if they do have the money to rehab the existing arenas, they might just raid it since the project will already cost more than they had set aside. They sure aren't great at estimating costs. 

Activia seems pretty much in Kitchener, lots to the north and west. There is a lot that is south and East. I'm not familiar with that area, I know there was development recently there, it looks like it can continue on.
(04-26-2016, 08:45 AM)kitborn Wrote: I understand that the Conestoga land in Cambridge is the desired location for a sports complex. There has been a fare amount of complaining about this location from Cambridge residents. Is it really because of location or is it because Conestoga College will have access to it? Location is great for 401, Kitchener, accommodations and transit.

IMO I think that many people in Cambridge see this location as a) in Preston or Blair and b) too far "out of town" ... they don't see Cambridge as  a growing city
Is any future growth projected on that side of town?
(04-28-2016, 11:27 PM)MacBerry Wrote: IMO I think that many people in Cambridge see this location as a) in Preston or Blair and b) too far "out of town" ... they don't see Cambridge as  a growing city

Or as a city period. They're still clinging to happy thoughts of the old days when Hespeler Road was a two-lane road with a nightclub and a drive-in movie theatre. Times have changed, but not for them.
How is this any different than the city of Kitchener having a planned Sportsplex (granted only 2 ice pads) out on Huron Road... I'm sure all us Stanley Park'ers will be up in arms about it!  Wink

Coke
(04-29-2016, 09:02 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: How is this any different than the city of Kitchener having a planned Sportsplex (granted only 2 ice pads) out on Huron Road... I'm sure all us Stanley Park'ers will be up in arms about it!  Wink

Coke

Except the Aud is pretty close to Stanley Park and there's a few ice pads there.

I still can't believe how much money they are planning to spend on a sports facility.

(04-29-2016, 03:35 PM)clasher Wrote:
(04-29-2016, 09:02 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: How is this any different than the city of Kitchener having a planned Sportsplex (granted only 2 ice pads) out on Huron Road... I'm sure all us Stanley Park'ers will be up in arms about it!  Wink

Coke

Except the Aud is pretty close to Stanley Park and there's a few ice pads there.

I still can't believe how much money they are planning to spend on a sports facility.

Grand River is closer, but my point is, there are arena's all over the city.  When they build a new one, we should be happy for that community...

Is it convenient when the city builds a new Sportsplex and closes Grand River, Lions or McLaren?  No.  But that's "progress". 

If the Sportsplex is being built within city limits then that's well within their power to do so.  If the City of Cambridge was building a centre in Brantford, I'd understand the outrage.

Coke
I went for my first open water swim of the year last night at Paradise Lake. I wish I had gone earlier, because the water was beautiful. If you're hesitating to go swimming because you think water temperatures are too low, they definitely are not, at least in the smaller local lakes.
(06-02-2016, 07:29 AM)jamincan Wrote: I went for my first open water swim of the year last night at Paradise Lake. I wish I had gone earlier, because the water was beautiful. If you're hesitating to go swimming because you think water temperatures are too low, they definitely are not, at least in the smaller local lakes.

Do you access it from the little dock area where Maplewood road crosses the stream on the east side of the lake?
Nope, I'm a member of a tri group with the Stork YMCA, and we are able to access it from Camp Ki-Wa-Y off of Hessen Strasse (which, amusingly, Google Maps pronounces as Hessenish Strasse).
Interesting piece in the Record about early talks between Conestoga College and the Kitchener Panthers about building a shared baseball stadium on college land.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/6719...m-project/
A professional basketball team will begin play in the region this winter, likely at the Aud. Name, colours, etc still to be chosen.

http://www.therecord.com/sports-story/67...is-winter/

Uniroyal-Goodrich Park is poised for some improvements :

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/678128...a-facelift
I’m really curious to see what the proposals for that park are. As noted in the article, it’s pretty isolated from Guelph Street, and not much of a draw. Even with the community garden now, there usually seems to be no one around.

George Lippert on the other side of Weber has been given the same treatment with a survey, and then multiple proposals that went to the community for review. It seemed like a good process. One of the big asks from the neighbourhood was some sort of a water feature for kids. That was ruled out for pretty good reasoning (the cost!), but I got the sense that suggestions were at least considered. I would expect the requests for Guelph Street would be similar- Duke Street Park is not far away, but even with that Mount Hope doesn’t have a lot of spaces for kids.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »