Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
General Sports and Recreation News
Waterloo rec complex expansion cost pegged at $26.6 million

http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/waterloo-rec...-1.3717978

I can't imagine how they'll get any amount of money for the current ARC center property, who on earth would want a lot of that size at King and Allen...
(12-12-2017, 06:47 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I can't imagine how they'll get any amount of money for the current ARC center property, who on earth would want a lot of that size at King and Allen...

Real question is why they aren’t redeveloping and incorporating facilities into one of the lower floors of the redevelopment. The Rec centre isn’t really in a great location and I understand we can’t suddenly build a pool at King/Allen but for the activities that are currently at King/Allen the Rec centre is a much worse location.
(12-12-2017, 06:49 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-12-2017, 06:47 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I can't imagine how they'll get any amount of money for the current ARC center property, who on earth would want a lot of that size at King and Allen...

Real question is why they aren’t redeveloping and incorporating facilities into one of the lower floors of the redevelopment. The Rec centre isn’t really in a great location and I understand we can’t suddenly build a pool at King/Allen but for the activities that are currently at King/Allen the Rec centre is a much worse location.

I have thought of this before and I think it would be a great idea. Waterloo could get a new ARC quite cheaply (albeit a compact, urban one) while still meeting intensification goals for that area.
There's the obvious desire to bring facilities together. It doesn't help seniors who want to go for a walk (WMRC), then have a band practice (ARC), then spend time with people at the Rotary (RCAFA), nor does it help the city to have to staff and maintain all these separate facilities.
It's too bad but it looks like the LPGA will not have a local stop this year.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/mobile/no-w...-1.3720479
Grand River Rocks has opened up a kid friendly climbing gym.

https://www.kitchenerpost.ca/news-story/...o-bananas/

(01-03-2018, 03:19 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Grand River Rocks has opened up a kid friendly climbing gym.

Yeah, so I worry about Grand River Rocks and condo developers. It looks like they still don't own their building and Kitchener has intensification in mind for that area (since it is right across the street from the LRT!) There is some discussion on the ontarioclimbing.com forum in a thread about True North ("New transportation system...")
The city won't force intensification, they will only allow it to happen. And there are a number of other properties within a one-block radius that will likely get developed first.

I would suggest that GRR develop a "Plan B" in case a development project is announced, but nothing more than that. It's not as if demolition would happen in a month or two anyway.
(01-03-2018, 05:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote: The city won't force intensification, they will only allow it to happen.  And there are a number of other properties within a one-block radius that will likely get developed first.

I would suggest that GRR develop a "Plan B" in case a development project is announced, but nothing more than that. It's not as if demolition would happen in a month or two anyway.

I've seen too many climbing gyms in Toronto that were forced to move due to condos. But it depends on the real estate situation and whether a developer is making the owner an offer they can't refuse (and which the gym cannot match).
(01-03-2018, 04:54 PM)plam Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 03:19 PM)rangersfan Wrote: Grand River Rocks has opened up a kid friendly climbing gym.

Yeah, so I worry about Grand River Rocks and condo developers. It looks like they still don't own their building and Kitchener has intensification in mind for that area (since it is right across the street from the LRT!) There is some discussion on the ontarioclimbing.com forum in a thread about True North ("New transportation system...")

Even if they buy their building they still have an interest in the building as a development site.

Owning their building would just allow them to decide when to move. They could also do cool stuff like build their climbing facilities into the redevelopment. Imagine a building with a tall multi-story atrium, with climbing walls up some of the sides of the atrium! It could be very very cool.
(01-03-2018, 06:19 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Even if they buy their building they still have an interest in the building as a development site.

Owning their building would just allow them to decide when to move. They could also do cool stuff like build their climbing facilities into the redevelopment. Imagine a building with a tall multi-story atrium, with climbing walls up some of the sides of the atrium! It could be very very cool.

Yes, they could well develop the building for condos which include climbing walls. I suspect that given the amount of sweat equity they've put in, though, they may be not so keen on doing something that will undo their hard work. People aren't always financially rational.
I imagine that GRR will become a bit more oriented toward adults now as well considering this location is right next door.

The Kitchener Rangers are moving on to the second round of the OHL playoffs after defeating Guelph 4 games to 2.
Round 2 sees the Rangers lining up against the Sarnia Sting.
GO RANGERS GO !!!!!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »