Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
30-40 Margaret Ave | 3 fl townhouses | Planned
I lived in the Cedar/Duke Street ones and they're great! Just big enough for a family. The ones at Marg/ Wellington recently got renovated and split into two units each for better or worse

(03-22-2023, 08:14 AM)bravado Wrote: Those Courtland ones are delightful, these are comparable ones in Cambridge across from a very old schoolhouse:

I don't think I've seen these before. Those look great! Not a fan of the roof shingles they have on top but the rest of it looks wonderful.
(03-22-2023, 02:36 PM)Is it slate?ac3r Wrote:
(03-22-2023, 08:14 AM)bravado Wrote: Those Courtland ones are delightful, these are comparable ones in Cambridge across from a very old schoolhouse:

I don't think I've seen these before. Those look great! Not a fan of the roof shingles they have on top but the rest of it looks wonderful.

Is it slate?
(03-21-2023, 07:02 PM)ac3r Wrote:
(03-21-2023, 04:00 PM)SF22 Wrote: I would be DELIGHTED if someone designed townhouses that looked like the Arrow/Courtland ones! I am so partial to a classic design, especially in the downtown area, but there's just something about that beautiful brickwork that's lost to us today. If you walk around any of the neighbourhoods built before 1920, there is gorgeous detailing done with the brick layouts that gives each house/building its own bit of character. I wish we still had that eye for detail in modern builds.

The ones at Courtland and Benton? Those are amongst my most cherished buildings in all of Waterloo Region. They were tenements for employees of the former shirt factory (or at least some industrial company nearby) and there were once an additional 1 or 2 of them, though they were demolished when Benton was widened.

They were indeed row houses for the female workers at the Arrow shirt factory. The one closest to Benton was demolished to allow for the planned widening of Benton, but apparently that one was a very different design (I have never seen a photo of it though).
I don't see the September Heritage Committee meeting notes posted on the city's website yet. I'd be curious to know which three voted against this proposal.

Now that it goes to council, I assume it will pass. Even with the flat roof design that will double as terraces! (the horror /s)

‘We need to get it right’ — Heritage Kitchener members disagree on long-awaited Margaret Avenue townhouse proposal
https://archive.ph/En3Zk (from the Record)

Article highlights
One of the main concerns raised by a resident and echoed by a couple of committee members is the flat-roof design of the townhomes.
Critics of the proposed design say the majority of older homes in the neighbourhood have pitched or peaked roofs.

Representatives from planning and architecture firms working on the project maintain that many Victorian-era townhomes had flat rooflines.
They say there’s still variation in their roof design, and that it allows for rooftop terraces for townhomes that won’t have rear yards.
Imagine complaining about whether or not a roof should be flat or not. These people are dumb.
(09-11-2023, 02:57 PM)ac3r Wrote: Imagine complaining about whether or not a roof should be flat or not. These people are dumb.

Im stealing my own joke on twitter here, but the flat roof is the only thing keeping all local walmarts and warehouses from getting their rightly deserved heritage designations.
local cambridge weirdo

(09-11-2023, 03:22 PM)bravado Wrote:
(09-11-2023, 02:57 PM)ac3r Wrote: Imagine complaining about whether or not a roof should be flat or not. These people are dumb.

Im stealing my own joke on twitter here, but the flat roof is the only thing keeping all local walmarts and warehouses from getting their rightly deserved heritage designations.

That is hilarious. Take my upvote.
With staff and a majority of the Committee in favour, approval by Council is virtually certain, no?
Approved.

https://archive.ph/S8kAu
(Record link)

Redevelopment plan for vacant Margaret Avenue site approved by Kitchener council

KITCHENER — The redevelopment of a long-vacant Margaret Avenue site can proceed, after Kitchener council granted a heritage permit for the work.
About damn time. That property has been empty as long as I've been alive and every development has been held up by a bunch of people with nothing better to do. If the heritage and conservation of the neighbourhood was so paramount, then it wouldn't have sat as a weed filled city block since the 1980s.
(09-28-2023, 01:47 PM)ac3r Wrote: About damn time. That property has been empty as long as I've been alive and every development has been held up by a bunch of people with nothing better to do. If the heritage and conservation of the neighbourhood was so paramount, then it wouldn't have sat as a weed filled city block since the 1980s.

If heritage were paramount the mansions that occupied the site would never have been torn down.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »