Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 7 - Kitchener to Guelph
I know in my line of work, winter is often easier due to the fact that the ground is frozen.

(01-29-2018, 01:48 PM)SammyOES Wrote: Someone mentioned a few years ago (maybe in this thread) that tree clearing has to happen at certain times of the year for environmental reasons.  Not sure if that's part of it or not.  But I agree, doesn't seem like a great time of year to be doing it.

That was likely me. As per the Federal Migratory Birds Convention Act, trees cannot be removed during the breeding season of migratory birds. As soon as migratory birds have returned and started to nest in the spring (usually April-May), their nests cannot be disturbed. If trees are to be removed during the migratory bird season, a nest search of each tree has to be done first before removal. Removing them now in January-February before migratory birds begin to nest is therefore much easier and often why this time of year is so common for large scale tree removals.
Makes sense. Thanks!
I can't even.

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1314624

...this is the stupidest thing CTV has ever done. They didn't start or end the two clocks at the same point. Unreal.
(01-29-2018, 08:02 PM)Canard Wrote: I can't even.

...this is the stupidest thing CTV has ever done.  They didn't start or end the two clocks at the same point.  Unreal.

Wow. I mean, I don’t expect high-quality scientific research from the local TV news, but that was a pretty stupid article. I must dispute you however — I’m pretty sure the current US president has appeared on CTV news.

As to the detours, we won’t really know what approach is better until the road actually closes. Those turns on/off Victoria should be really simple once those are no longer real intersections. In particular, Bruce at Victoria should just be a free-flow bend in the road, with the exception of an occasional pause for pedestrian traffic, of which I’m guessing there won’t be very much right there. Edna at Victoria will still be an actual intersection, but with very little traffic on the dead-end Victoria. They should be able to give almost all the green time to the left turn off Edna, with the right turn onto Edna being protected. To me the question is what the intersections with Frederick look like.

For the northern detour I suspect using Margaret rather than Lancaster is advisable for reaching Wellington. Actually my idea for dealing with the Lancaster crossing permanently is to close it except to pedestrians and bicycles. Cars can use Margaret or the new underpass near the expressway.
You just have to laugh at something as stupid as that.

And if you're actually going from Lancaster to Guelph like they mentioned, there's a pretty good chance that the Wellington/Bingeman's route is faster even without the bridge being closed. It skips a lot of traffic and traffic lights.

...this is the stupidest thing CTV has ever done.  They didn't start or end the two clocks at the same point.  Unreal.

HA! I said the exact same thing when I watch it on the news! This was about as piss poor of reporting that I've ever seen.

It's all relative too...if you're going to Guelph, obviously going to Wellington is better, if you're going to Burger King, you take Frederick.

Oh FFS.  That is unbelievably stupid.  Just....I have no words...
Separate from CTV discussion, can anyone confirm what is happening with Wellington to SB 85 onramps? I thought I saw a sign indicating that the ramp WB wellington to SB 85 will be closed as part of Victoria bridge closure (for same duration). Did I misread, or are there additional ramp closures as well?
(01-29-2018, 11:02 PM)PAHTDC Wrote: Separate from CTV discussion, can anyone confirm what is happening with Wellington to SB 85 onramps? I thought I saw a sign indicating that the ramp WB wellington to SB 85 will be closed as part of Victoria bridge closure (for same duration). Did I misread, or are there additional ramp closures as well?

In a related thread, I think I heard that the Bruce-NB 85 ramp would be closed for part of the bridge closure as well.
(01-30-2018, 11:20 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: This reminds me of the old joke that those who can’t do, teach. Which I think is unfair, because many teachers are brilliant at what they do. But maybe those who can’t do, join our local TV news team. His response shows a total inability and unwillingness to engage with what you are saying.

I read his response as just showing he's not very smart. I realize that's kind of mean (and probably unfair)... but...

The only thing I'll say about doing timing from anything other than an identical start point is that drivers aren't coming from/going to the same places. They can probably know/figure out how long it would take them to do either detour route were Victoria not closed at 85. Doing a timing of the detour route only allows people to say "normally it takes me X minutes to go this way" Whether you are coming from north or south of Victoria, and they can add on the timing to their mental route clock.
They still wouldn't know this because they are not including the difference in time between the usual route and the detour. I may know how long a trip takes me but it is unlikely I know how long it takes between two particular intersections on the route.

Moreover, the bridge was still open so it's not even a real measure of how long the detour will be when it is closed.

It's just clickbait/two minutes of hate. Nothing more.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »